Pellets

D

Darren Russell

Hia,
I was wondering if carp pelets work for trout because i have aquited a bag and are going trout fishing tommorow any ideas.

D

Denis Goulding

Darren,
Just one question why do u want to use pellets ..???>.and to answer your question of course they will work for trout,i am presuming u are talking about stocked trout..???

D

Darren Russell

Its a extremely small water.
And i want to no exactly were to cast my flies

D

Denis Goulding

Alan,
U are right, i cannot understand this way that Darren is trying to catch trout..

Regards,
Denis

D

Denis Goulding

Darren,
Fish a bright orange gold head fritz tadpole on a 10 foot 8lb breaking strain cast in conjunction with a floating line, work your way around the fishery until u start catching , stay there 5 minutes if takes dry up keep going..U will catch some stockies..Slow retreive is best..Now forget the pellets and fish..
Regards.
Denis

Farter McPhee

Reaction score
I always loose feed with pellets or casters when I go fly fishing for trout. Casters are absolutely excellent and a close imitation is easily tied with brown thread. Darren is correct - if the fish are not feeding this will certainly bring them on the take - and how! By the way, it helps if you throw the stuff in to make the maximum splash as this closely imitates the way pellets are introduced into the stews. Exact imitation was first pioneered by Halford on the Test - little did he realise how his ideas would be adapted by todays modern angler.

Incidentally on some of the clearer modern stocked trout waters it is a simple matter to foul-hook the larger specimens and they cruise past on predictable courses. Surprisingly they do not seem to fight much better and can be pulled in like a bag of spuds.

On waters where such methods are frowned on (ie all of them) a technique that I have heard of (although not tried) is to fill a thermos with the loose feed, pretend you are drinking from the cup, then chuck the 'remains' into the water. Even telescopic observation by the bailiffs is fooled by this one unless they inspect your bag!!

Good luck Darren and I hope you catch plenty of trout.

Altenatively you can get it at Sainsburys far cheaper.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Farter, your comments are about as close to reality, and as funny, as those of the Iraqi Information minister.

They're keeping me entertained anyway.

More please!

D

Dave Rothery

"Fish a bright orange gold head fritz tadpole" - hows that any more "natural" or "skilfull" than catching them on bait?
mind you, fishing for a fish thats that easy to catch you have to use some fluff.......

D

Darren Russell

Thanx i am going shopping next friday for some fly fishing gear any ideas on usefull flies any one.

B

Bob Watson

I don't venture into this section very often but I'm glad I did.
Farter has just had me in stitches.
Love it!!

D

Darren Russell

I have just come home from shopping and have bought a shakespear Contender fly rod and reel.

R

Ross Turner

At last you are going the right way to start catching trout.
I would advise only to buy the flies that work where you are going to fish & as you travel to different fisheries your fly collection will build up,but there is one set of flies i would not be with out & thats BUZZERS.
Good luck & tight lines.
Buy this months issue of trout fisherman due out 16/4 as it has a fisheries booklet in it free.
Ross