The NFA

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Is there anybody out there, apart from those who are part of the admin of the NFA, who is fully aware of what they do?

G

Gerry Castles

No, other than that they describe themselves as fishing's governing body, a statement which leaves me deeply suspicious. Are they government appointed ? have they a royal charter ? who gave them the right to govern my activities ? Oh and they have a web address that never seems to work. Could probably tell you more about the CIA than the NFA.

J

John McLaren

Always thought of NFA in terms of match fishing, a branch of the sport that does not involve me. I would have assumed that affiliated clubs would get some form of support in legal issues they might face. Other than that the NFA seems to be a non-entity so far as I and many other "pleasure" anglers are concerned.

They need to get their act together and if they do perhaps they can generate more support financially which will increase their capabilities for effective action and lobbying.

QUESTIONS: Do the NFA have individual members? If so when did I ever see a recruitment advert?

S

Stuart Harvey

Nor me. With so many groups now I ain't got a clue who represents who and what they actually aspire to do.

B

Bryan Jackson

OKAY, first let me give you some background, up until a couple of weeks ago I was Senior Coach for the NFA in the South West and South Wales region, I resigned on a matter of principle but that is another story! I would be seen as the last person who may defend the NFA as I have ruffled many feathers within the organisation, but I feel I must despite all their faults.
Firstly, communication has never been good either within the organisation or between it and the outside world, different strategies have been employed and there are some improvements, but in terms of the angling press when the NFA have given them articles/ stories they have been ignored or given low profile. Look at the coaching scheme - very little publicity was given to it despite attempts from the NFA and its coaches - this was because of a vested interest in promoting the PAA which linked into the angling industries.There are faults on both sides. I must draw a distinction here because whenever I have submitted articles to Graham he has always published them. How many people know what the FA does behind the scenes? The difference is that the FA are funded by registration fees of each player within the regions.
Secondly, if you have been fishing without any problems thank the NFA, it is down to them and them alone that we can all enjoy the sport we love. It is the NFA who deals with issues that can affect YOUR fishing and protect YOUR interests.
Thirdly, the NFA historically was set up as a club based organisation, due to the way in which angling has changed the clubs are on the decline but more people go as individuals,until recently there was no method that these people could participate within the NFA - individual memberships have helped this. How many people actually put anything back into the sport? Lets face it the average angler just wants to fish and is not bothered by anything else. What do they give the sport - nothing. The rod license goes directly to the EA, ticket costs go to the fisheries what does the NFA get - NOTHING , yet it represents and protects the sport for all anglers whether members or not. Where else in this day and age do you get something for nothing!
If you dont know anything about the NFA or what it does then FIND OUT! I agree the NFA should promote itself to better effect but are anglers so apathetic that they cant e-mail the NFA (NFAOFFICE@AOL>COM) and find out things for themselves also?
So what have YOU put back into the sport?

C

Cakey

"People and their environments are at the heart of everything we do. We tackle flooding and pollution incidents. We make sure industry keeps its impacts on air, land and water quality to a minimum. We clean up rivers, coastal waters and contaminated land. We look after fish and wildlife habitats. We're here to improve your environment."
Barbara Young, Chief Executive

Thats what we put back into the sport by buying our rod licences.

B

Bryan Jackson

Thats what you put back into the environment! The vast majority of that is not funded by the rod license but by government and european funds. There is no mention ofthings that affect the sport- the cormorant issue, the canoe access issue, overhead electricity lines, sport development, countering pressure groups such as PETA, persuing compensation for pollution incidents, legal advise, help to get grants/awards, etc...
Don't get me wrong, the rod license is a cheap yet valued way of contributing to our environment but it does little in terms of protecting and developing the sport.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Bryan,

Participation! That's what the general angler puts into the sport, and bodies such as the N.F.A would do well to remember it!

I don't know about others but personally, alongside the money I pour into tackle dealers, local club memberships, day-tickets and rod licences, I also subscribe anually to the P.A.C, A.C.A and, as of this season, the S.A.A.

If the ,no doubt, commendable work of the N.F.A has gone largely unnoticed, they've only got theirselves to blame. They cannot expect every angler to have the same degree of committment or level of enthusiasm as the majority of anglers posting on here are likely to have. If they need support then they need to make their case above others. And I don't believe it bodes any of us well, as anglers in general, to ignore the importance of the 'marginally interested' anglers.

I think it's a rather pompous attitude, all too prevalent in modern angling, this notion that because we 'enthusiasts' are prepared to expend large amounts of our income on our passion, it somehow gives us the right to pour scorn on less serious anglers.

If you're prepared to put back into your sport as much as you obviously have, 'hats off to you' but I don't think it gives you the right to espouse vitriolic rhetoric toward others.

Regards Chris.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
NFA = Waste of time for the average angler.
For the match angler they are the be all and end all.

David Bird was the best thing they ever had, but they were too stupid to see it.

What do they do for you and me? NOTHING!

Outdated, Gone past their sell by date, should be replaced by something more encompassing.

John Wright has been campaining for years on their behalf, and they have given him a wide berth, He could be the answer, why wont they give him a chance????????????????

B

Bryan Jackson

I did not intend "to pour scorn" on others, I was merely stating a fact, most anglers are not political beasts but just want to enjoy their sport - there in lies the problem for the NFA. How do you reach the average angler who may not buy any publication from the angling press, nor be a member of a club?
In terms of the "marginally interested" I have put my money where my mouth is and taken part in numerous organised and ad-hoc events to help newcomers to the sport of all ages and yes I do agree that the NFA are just as much at fault for their poor promotion in the past. But it is very easy to knock the NFA without finding out the facts first.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Bryan,

I think I owe you an apology, my posting wasn't intended to be quite so aggressive. Sorry for that.

It's just as counter productive to argue amongst ourselves I guess.

I stand by my point about the less serious anglers though, I still feel that, providing, they are within the law i.e they've purchased a rod licence, then they should have no other enforced committments. There's a real danger of pricing these anglers out of the sport.

Regards Chris

C

Cakey

When I go to watch Liverpool play ,Im not expected to mow the pitch.........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Bryan, good on you for defending what you believe in but I have to take issue with you about this statement you made:

"If you dont know anything about the NFA or what it does then FIND OUT!"

It shouldn't be like that at all. It's about time the NFA took off their cloth caps and became more business-like. It's up to the Federation to promote what they do and to make sure they do promote it effectively. It's not up to individual anglers to go chasing round trying to find out what different organisations are up to.

God help any business that sat back and said, "**** 'em, let the punters find out what we're selling, we can't be bothered to let 'em know."

And I say that from the standpoint that I've tried and tried again to get them to send me press releases and news items. Considering that FM has about 12,000 registered members and 10 times that visiting each month, it's a bloody disgrace that they choose to ignore us.

Is it any wonder that nobody knows much about them?

P

Phil Hatton

Bryan,a little harsh mate on peoples input.Every year hundreds if not thousands of anglers do their bit on working parties which generally involve improving the environment in some way.Disabled pegs,pathways,tree management,dredging and reclaiming derelict water.It's along list.Then there's the ACA,the only anti-pollution organisation funded entirely by anglers and bloody good at it too.Can I also mention the Stoney And Friends events,putting back not only into the sport but the community as wellLas but by no means least check out the Carp Forum and see what Stu Dennis and his mob are up to.

W

Wag

You could have a look here:-
NFA
but if you want to see anything interesting you'll have to pay your ?15.00!!!!