Light relief

K

Kevan Farmer

There is a wonderful website entitled 'The Volga's fishs' (sic)

It is all about fish of the Volga delta though most are to be found in this country. Take a look and be amazed at the translations from Russian to English. Oh, and if anybody knows what a 'vegetative nozzle' is do let us know :)

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/2109/fish_e1.htm

T

The Monk

having trouble getting on the site, the Volga Delta though is a fasinating area, I have about 3 vids on it, one with Kevin Maddocks and the others are natural history ones, sad really as most of the large sturgeon which used to get caught in the Delta have been fished out by Russian Netsmen, in fact even some of the protected varieties like the Beluga occasionally turn up on plates

G

Gerry Castles

For some reason the author has chosen to leave out the biggest fish of them all,
the sturgeon which is abundant in the Volga Delta.

P

Phil Hackett

Gerry with all due respect the sturgon (all species) was abundant in the Volga delta. Most if not all are now getting as rare as rockinghorse droppings, or that's what my Russian friends tell me.

G

Gerry Castles

Stocks have dramaticlly folded due to poaching but 70% of the worlds supply of caviar comes from sturgeon caught in the Volga and it's tributaries. Sportfishing for sturgeon was still going on in 2002, although I suspect will probably soon not be viable.Sturgeon albeit small are still in the Volga Delta.

T

The Monk

Yesah, its very sad really, we did of course have sturgeon in the River Don once, I think the last one was caught in 1733
(no its wasnt me)!

S

Stu Black

Sturgeon....the same species that we're seeing moreand more often in the weeklies?

P

Phil Hackett

It’s interesting to note Gerry that, whilst the Volga is the river that everybody knows about for sturgeon in Russia, few actually know that many of the great rivers in Russia also contain them.

Lake Baikal in eastern Siberia has its own unique species. However, under Stalin and the push for timber, aluminium and other metals into that region, they built a ruddy great Hydroelectric dam across the only river that runs out of the Lake. In damming the River Angara they inadvertently blocked off migration route into the river and the population declined. The lake still has them present, but not in the numbers it did before the dam was built.

What used to surprise me before I went to Russia was the fact that, they killed the sturgeon on the Volga Delta, rather than sustainably harvesting the eggs and releasing the majority of fish caught. However, having been and seen the amount of freshwater fish they consume, it no longer surprises me. The plain fact is that it is still for many Russians the largest source of protein, particularly in the rural areas. And during the Soviet era it was for most the only source.

K

Kevan Farmer

Hmmmm, I had put this thread up as relief to the doom and gloom presently pervading every walk of life - imminent war. Instead it's turned out to be a lament to the dwindling population of the sturgeon.

I'm going back to sleep :)

Kevan

K

Kevan Farmer

Terry. Brussles sprout? Nice one mate. It seems that a nozzle is a bait so a vegetative nozzle could indeed be a brussels sprout...though I'll leave it to you to trial them ;-))))

Kevan

T

The Monk

I had 3 sturgeon in my garden pond last year, Boris, Vladamire and Norman (well I only know 2 Russian names) 2 Siberian and I sterlet, then the heron paid me a visit!

It was nice to see the heron in my garden, but not so nice seeing my ?25 each sturgeon dissapearing down its throad1

W

Wag

Monk, you must have Herons with expensive taste, they obviously like the odd spot of caviar.

T

The Monk

giving your age away there Rodney.

I used to hate them, they never went off when you had a run, only when you put them away in your ruck sack?

Yeah funny that Carl, they left the goldfish alone, despite the fact that the gold fish where flaunting themselves and the sturgeon were hiding behind an ASDA trolly (well I like to add a bit of authentissity in my ponds)

P

Phil Hackett

Heron My eye! Like all your monastic brethren you ate them.

Hope you didn’t find them to earthy at ?75 for a meal for three :0)

G

Gerry Castles

Phil, that was once a medieval delicacy which I found in my Henry VIII cookbook

fftork fftuffed with ffturgeon.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Yo Yo Yo Monk mah man, Me an' mah crew 'aint never seen one o' dem 'errons dog we all too fresh to get down wit dem nasty ol' dings dog...an'I's on'y young know wot I'm sayin' dog???.

T

The Monk

Phil Ssssshh, I've been trying to keep that quiet mate!

Been on the ale again Jerry? and thats not a Glaswegian accent Rodney

R

Rodney Wrestt

Monk,
It be how we talk wit all da gangst rap 'n' Sh** goin' on now dog....we's almost American now.....I thought it sounded a bit Huggy Bear 70's pimp talk at the begining. :eek:)