Feeder Braid to mono

Rickrod

Reaction score
Whats the best knot to use to join the two please...?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I use a small rig ring and and two grinner knots, but you can also use a double grinner. Providing you don't want the knot to go through the rod rings the rig ring is best IMHO

Rickrod

Reaction score
I will be fishing at range for the silvers at the weekend and normally you dont get much indication of a bite you just see the tips of your maggots have been chewed when you are recasting.So ive spooled up with feeder braid and i just wanted to put two rods lengths of mono to act as a bungee so i can still fish with a light hook length. And get a good register when a fish bites and not snap the hook length on the strike or bump the fish off.Double grinner it is then,thanks chaps.

mcdejer16

Reaction score
I will be fishing at range for the silvers at the weekend and normally you dont get much indication of a bite you just see the tips of your maggots have been chewed when you are recasting.So ive spooled up with feeder braid and i just wanted to put two rods lengths of mono to act as a bungee so i can still fish with a light hook length. And get a good register when a fish bites and not snap the hook length on the strike or bump the fish off.Double grinner it is then,thanks chaps.

If you are fishing for silvers, you will not need two rod lengths of mono as it will work against the idea of using braid for bite indication.

I would just set up as if you were using a mono mainline and tie your mono hooklength direct to it, use a 18ins to 3ft tail and you can't fail. Just make sure you feather the cast so you don't crack off or do as the post above. This is a method that was used at this time of year at Porth Res (It probably still is but I haven't fished down there for about 5 years).

I noticed you are from the south west, what is the venue you are fishing I might know it and be able to give you some more info.

Cheers
Mark

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You asked for a knot. I don't know the name of it, sadly.

You tie an overhand knot in the braid, but DON'T close it, leave it open to a ¼"diameter. Push the nylon through the loop and whip it up the braid 6 times. Then whip in same direction back down the braid 4 times over the previous nylon whipping and pass the tag end of nylon back through the loop of braid.

Now tighten the loop of braid and start to pull on the tag end and mainline of nylon until it tightens down to a neat whipping, stopping at the overhand knot in the braid. Cut off the tag ends.

Strongest knot I know for this, it's what I use on my casting reels.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Are you thinking in terms of a paternoster rig because if you are I wouldn't bother. Two ways spring to mind neither of which entails joining the braid to the nylon which is a tricky thing to do anyway.

Firstly use a small swivel if you want to fish in line, simple and effective.

Secondly braid through to the feeder and your hooklink fished helicopter style and there are number of ways of doing this but all quite obvious and relatively tangle free.

Most important of all, when fishing braid as a mainline the number one rule is you don't strike, doing so will likely rip the hook out of the fishes mouth resulting in a fish with a damaged mouth and no fish for you. Just lift into it, no mini strike, nothing, and play the fish with care slowly but positively so you don't give it any slack. It isn't much different to fishing with nylon except for the strike and playing every fish as if it is the one that is going to win you the match.

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Jeffs right and the leader knot he descibes works well with shock leaders, but it's a little difficult to tie with lighter mono (I know cos Mr Clumsy has had several goes at it and made an arse of it!).

I also tend to agree with Graham and would try a helicopter rig. These are normally self hooking so you tend to miss less bites. I'd always use mono for the bit that the hook length rotates on though. So the rig is feeder 2ft of 6lb or 8lb mono with your hook length on it, your braid main line.

See you wait ages for an answer and then six come all at once!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
That means attaching the braid to the mono though Sean, with my match fishing hat on not a good idea in my very very humble opinion. As long as the bit that rotates has a big enough bore the braid won't affect its ability to rotate.

A plus point about using the helicoptor rig is you can, by using a stiffer hooklength match the hooklength so it lies near to the feeder but you don't want it so fine that it increases the risk of tangles. Fish aren't as line shy as some would have us believe and the old tendency of fishing as fine as you dared has been proven to be false thinking.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Thanks guys,some quality replies there

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I think this is what Jeff is refering to, mahin knot - which I use for attatching shock leaders ect.....

mahinknot01.jpg

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Spot on Mark.

I don't think it needs as many wraps as that, like I said, 6 up and 4 back down, but that's with thinner lines. Were I doing it for 40lbs braid it might be 8 up and 6 back, but that's just me.

Works a treat though.

Here it is being tied -
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXtyKlesU40"]YouTube- carp fishing- "Mahin knot"- przypon strzałowy[/ame]

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Like Sean, I use a micro rig ring - Drennan's or anyone's, but the smallest size.

On most spessy rods, the little ring will fly through the line guides. Micro swivels get jammed, so don't bother with them.

It's really important, though, that you pass the braid through the ring twice before tying a knot, as the micro rings are very low diameter.

The advantage of micro rig rings over knotting the two together is that you can change a mono leader very quickly, even when your hands are cold.