Plastic Baits

Specihunter

Reaction score
Apart from the Big 3 plastic baits sweetcorn, maggots and castors. Has anyone had any success with any other baits ?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Plastic pellets work fine. Plasic fish also work a lot better than you might think I've had perch pick up the Storm realistic roach off the bottom. Grayling and trout will also pick up stationary flies off the bottom, but I spose they're not strictly plastic.

Son of Meldrew

Reaction score
...Enterprise plastic baits...

I've caught carp, bream, tench, chub and barbel on Enterprise plastic baits, using their sinking and floating maggots and casters, flavoured pellets, and mini-sweetcorn. I had my best session this season using ONLY plastic hookbaits (a combination of buoyant red maggots and mini-sweetcorn) over spodded groundbait - including several double-figure bream to over 13lb. Once you have the confidence to use these baits you WILL catch - as long as your rig works, fish WILL pick the bait up and get hooked - I am now so confident that I fish over groundbait without live maggots/casters in the hot weather as they are so hard to keep alive - if you're fishing over groundbait/spodded particles, etc, the fish won't know the difference. If I'm using the maggot feeder, I use a combination of plastic and real baits on the hook for buoyancy, but for night sessions I use just plastic - that way I don't have to worry about the underwater bugs, larvae, etc, eating the maggots and leaving just a skin when you reel in in the morning. Even the eels sometimes take all-plastic baits - that's how good they are! I've only used the Enterprise versions, I like the way they take a flavour if you soak them. Great for keeping off the nuisance chublets on the river, too!

Red Army

Reaction score
I've tried plastic bloodworms recently, wasn't sure if they would catch anything so I kept them in a bloodworm flavouring liquid for a week or so before trying...well all I can say is they work nearly as good as the real thing :eek:

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
You can buy a liquid Worm attractant in germany, so there should be no problem to get one in the Uk, i guess.

I have used plastic bait to conceal the hook (Bloodworm will do that really good, at least for smaller hooks), Plastic Maggots in red as an addition to the naturals(sometimes worked better, than just the naturals, sometimes didn´t make a difference and sometimes even spooked the fish) and floating sweetcorn in addition the the real sweetcorn to make it a little balanced.
And i have bought (but not tested) some plastic Pellets to make a Pellet Rig in Snowman-Style

I will use more plastic baits in the future, as i have already bought some of that stuff.

Berkley have a range of Bloodworm and Sweetcorn (plastic) in a liquid attractant.

Nathan

Reaction score
I've used some of the standard plastics (ie corn, caster, maggot) and they really can make a difference. I remember one day last year fishing a small lake with a feeder rig, I was getting plenty of knocks but not enough bites. I was fishing maggots on the hook & decided to add a bouyant caster to the hook & suddenly i was getting a lot more bites. I think the added bouyancy played a key part as when i went back to just real maggots by bites dropped off again.
I've tried the fake bread as well, not sure i rate it that highly though. I'd rather fish the real thing despite it always falling off the hook!