Oarfish

C

Chris Bishop

Anyone see the story on the woman who caught an 11ft-long oarfish off her local beach..?

Absolutely amazing creatures (never heard of them...), first time one's appeared in British waters, apparently sailors used to think they were sea serpents.

It's literally a great long fish like a plank of wood. It was in the Daily Mail.

T

The Monk

Oarfish (Regalecus glesne Ascanius)

The Oarfish is reported to be the longest of all fishes. It has a ribbon-like body that has been reliably documented to grow to 8m in length, however specimens up to 17m in length have been reported.

It is metallic silver with blotches and wavy markings on the body, and pink or red fins. This species has a concave head profile and a highly protrusible mouth (a characteristic of the order Lampridiformes). It has a dorsal fin that runs the entire length of the body, but lacks an anal fin. There are tiny spines projecting laterally off each caudal and pelvic fin ray.

The derivation of the common name is uncertain. It may refer to the oar-shaped body, or the long oar-like pelvic fins, or possibly to reports that as the fish swims the pelvic fins scull the water like oars.
People most often see Oarfish washed up on beaches. Encounters with live Oarfish are rare . They are sometimes seen on the surface, and this may contribute to tales of sea serpents.

The Oarfish is found worldwide in all tropical and temperate marine waters. It is thought to live at depths between 20-200m, where it feeds largely on invertebrates and fishes. Although several species of oarfishes have been described, there is now believed to be only one species.

P

Paul Williams

Monk,
you mean it was an 11ft Lamprey.....URGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

T

The Monk

Lamprey Paul, I bloody hate them, we used to catch salmon with red circles on them off lamprey,

hate to get one stuck on me head!!!!!!

K

Keith Hacking

used to see lampreys a lot on the ribble and hodder.they used to spawn about july time.dont see them now though.not since they built the wiers lower down these rivers.last ones i saw were on the moy in southern ireland,two years ago.

P

Paul Williams

Heard it was cut up into pieces.....wonder if Nev bought it for "Lucebaits"? :)