Day ticket stretches

Specihunter

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a trip to a day ticket stretch on another river for the end of the season. The rivers I'm looking at are the Severn, Warwickshire Avon, Teme , Bristol Avon , Great Ouse, Kennett and maybe the Hampshire Avon or the Dorset Stour ( I know the 2 famous stretches Throop and Royalty) . If some rivers don't have day ticket stretches then please say so, then I can narrow my field down.

Many thanks

Speci.

jcp01

Reaction score
There's a whole load of options on the Wark's Avon at Harvington.

There's a weir and pumphouse complex at the bottom left of Anchor Lane, £5 I believe.

The very next stretch downstream is the Golf course ~ Both the above controlled by Manor Farm fisheries

Next stretch downstream is Anchor Meadow with its lock, island and weir at the very bottom of Anchor Lane, easy parking behind your peg, toilet block, camping, dogs allowed and you can fish the night. This is where I usually go with the missus and the dog for a summer weekend camp and barbel fishing. £7 a day (it says 12 quid for a 24 hour ticket - don't let the owner take both this and a further six for camping...!) The only problem with this stretch is that you can't get to the Fish and Anchor pub across the river by crossing along the top of the weir unless the water is very low, and when the water is very low, the fishing is ****!

Next stretch downstream is another Manor Farm fishery, a long straight stretch with a big pool at the bottom - Three meadows long and with drive on vehicle access the whole way.

Below this is the XXX stretch and it starts off in some deep woodland. Classic lower Avon water this - slow and smooth. £5 last time I fished it.

All the above hold very large barbel indeed. Also you can come into contact with some large shoals of small barbel, I had eight fish hooked in two hours last year.

The Severn has Montford Bridge, another pitch a tent and camp the weekend stretch but this time with a pub, the Wingfield Arms Get your day ticket at the pub.

Last edited:

river_banksy

Reaction score
Just had a look at anchor meadow, looks good, thinking of going down there come summer for a few days, never fished it before so can anyone help me out with a bit of info.

stravic

Reaction score
Great Ouse, above bedford or below bedford? you may be able to get some information from the St, Neots and Distict angling club,Vauxhall AC Luton,Luton AC, Leslies of Luton would be worth a Telephone call.I understand there is problems with Otters on the upper ouse you would need to check that out.
There's also Stanjay tackle shop based in huntingdon Cambs who has been helpful.Plus the tackle shop in Bedford.....Good luck.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Agreed - but of those two Kennet options the Mill is the better bet for a barbel. Try fishing the Lawn swims using a small (14) hook fishing a single red maggot on a small feeder and hit twitches. This seems to work better than waiting for the rod to double over on pellets at this time of year.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Just had a look at anchor meadow, looks good, thinking of going down there come summer for a few days, never fished it before so can anyone help me out with a bit of info.

The guy who took my day ticket money told me they had perch to over 6lb there, so if you phone him have a bucket of salt not a pinch.
Fishing wise prob. 2 good swims down from weir and they are always the first to go! Personally the next time I visit the W. Avon it will be to Manor Farm (which you drive past to get to Anchor meadow) or the XXX stretch. Hop this helps. mark
Oh nearly forgot he also told me he had introduced mink there "coz he liked them" Liar or pr*t you decide.

jcp01

Reaction score
The guy who took my day ticket money told me they had perch to over 6lb there, so if you phone him have a bucket of salt not a pinch.
Fishing wise prob. 2 good swims down from weir and they are always the first to go! Personally the next time I visit the W. Avon it will be to Manor Farm (which you drive past to get to Anchor meadow) or the XXX stretch. Hop this helps. mark
Oh nearly forgot he also told me he had introduced mink there "coz he liked them" Liar or pr*t you decide.

I was going to mention this, but....

I have been back four or five times and all I can say is, he's a 'character'...

A skip of salt is not too much.........

Salt of the earth. He lives with the floods in a caravan on stilts. we just come and fish his waters.

But the fishin' is good regardless...!

Enjoy

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Its not far from Cakey 'Speci',you wont find much day-ticket water above Bedford,especially on barbel water,and below there,there arent many barbus mate.