FISHERMANS DIARY

P

Peter Murray

Does anyone remember a series of Progs. made by Derek Law and Leeds TV- A Fishermans Diary around 1989. Are they available on Video? They were 4 x 1hr. Progs. covering Derek's fishing year of Coarse,Trout, Salmon. much obliged for any help.
Peter

Andy Young

Reaction score
It was on, then there must be some archive copies somewhere, at the very least with the production company surely.

So if no-one comes up with anything here, try getting in touch with LeedsTV and see if they could point you in a direction.

I'm in East Anglia so wouldn't have seen it, but I understand that with our sport/pasttime not having as much coverage on the box as we would like, it's important tho see something. And whilst Wilson has given us so much pleasure, and there is an almost endless amount of reading material covering every aspect, opinion, and advice pertaining to our piscatorial activity, it would be lovely to see some more "anglingTV".

"A Passion for Angling" is a classic, so's Chris Yate's books apparently, and i'm looking forward to getting round to them. The two video box set which I know is available from many sources including H.M.V., for about ?20, sums up my thoughts and the feelings that make angling certainly a passion.

There's is more and more angling apearing on digital TV, but unfortunatly i'm stuck with terestrial tele for the moment, which wouldn't normally be a problem, except i'm missing all the new stuff that I've been reading about in CarpWorld etc. As for Matt Hayes, he is a fastastic presenter and I enjoy reading his articles in the angling press as much as Chris Yates. He is certainly the ambassador our sport needs, and I wish him luck in his new venture with his own tackle company.

There are many other titles to purchase, as I'm sure you're aware with having the net at your disposal, and they include some by our leader/host/mate Graham Marsden.

Sorry Pete, ater reading all that i haven't been a lot of help to you about "A Fishermans Diary", but if you haven't seen "A Passion.... then try and have a look.

DISCLAMER:
I'm not a member of any 'fan clubs', and am not on any promotional payroll. Bob James' omission from the above was not intentional, and his writings hold as much interest as any. There is many great anglers in the limelight, and NOT, therefore i've only mentioned the core, as to give credit where it is due, would be a severe task.

P

Peter Murray

Hi Andy,thanks for that idea, I will try Leeds TV for help. Out of interest, it was on Anglia TV that I saw and first taped the series. Was a daytime broadcast over 4 days and my Anglia overrun,under run and generally made a mockery of the video timer.My tapes are getting tatty,and it is a fascinating series that no one seems to remember. I have Passion for Angling, and if you saw the Derek Law progs. you would say that inspiration for the Passion makers.I must find a new video of Fiishermans, it is a period masterpiece. If anyone knows the whereabouts and health of Derek Law please let me know. Thanks for help,Peter

Andy Young

Reaction score
Glad to have been some help, it's what this place is all about isn't it.
Nope, I definitly missed them, and it's typical of Anglia for the video to miss the first or last five minutes or so. But surely the bigger upset is that they chose to air them during the day when, I would guess,70% of anglers were at work!
Seems from what you say, i've got to keep my eyes open for a copy too, let the site know should you have any joy.

Tight lines and wet nets,

Andy

P

Peter Murray

Been on to Yorks TV for help, be interesting to see response. As I said, Fishermans Diary seems like an apprenticeship for Passion for angling, even the music is similar. Derek Law starts year grayling and brown trout fishing,Piking ( ONE ROD !!)then Spring Salmon fishing. Summer tench, Seatrout, Perch fishing, Autumn Chub and winter canal fishing, then the last Salmon of the year. Makes me homesick for my varied fishing before I moved to Scotland. I have a lot of rods that dont see the light of day now.
Have not heard of him again, perhaps a private financed one off series. Have requested TV to show again, but I am only one voice. Start a campaign ?
regards,
Peter