Reel Main Lines

metta

Reaction score
I have a feeder rod and I'm looking for a nice line to finish my reel of with 6lb line. Anyone advive me some good stuff but not going to cost more then £10.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
There's a reason they call it vanish...

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Or go for braid? - Fireline 14lb lasts for donkeys years or Powerpro is also A1

the oracle

Reaction score
Krystonite

Krystonite for me in 6lb every time...been using it for years, never, ever let me down...

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
Ask ten Pros and get 20 different answers. ;)

It always depends on the conditions in which you are fishing and what line behaviour you are preferring. Do you want a soft line, or do you want one with a tough shell (abrasive resistant).

I´d go for Berkley Big Game Hi Test, or just Big Game (which is softer).

metta

Reaction score
Well all I want really is somthing that is strongish, And if eneds be can play fish up 2 8lb with it if I'm carefull.

Thanks for all the replys.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I'm slightly in love with Berkley Ironsilk. It's really tough stuff, doesn't seem to twist up and it's abrasion resistant. Yet it's also supple.

Buy some here

metta

Reaction score
I'm slightly in love with Berkley Ironsilk. It's really tough stuff, doesn't seem to twist up and it's abrasion resistant. Yet it's also supple.

Buy some here

This will be for a feeder rod, is the line clear or is it that brown color I hate that stuff.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
It's green. I personally don't believe line colour, or lack of it, has much bearing. In the first place, your line will be close to or on the bottom, where there's quite a lot of green things. In the second, only clear line with the same refractive index as water (i.e. fluorocarbon) offer any major advantage IMHO

A

alan whittington

Metta,if your really careful you can land fish of that size on 12ounce line,most 6lb reel lines would land fish up to 8lb quite easily with a carp style float rod,or a 1.25lb test curve avon,or feeder rod,unless fishing up to snags,there have been quite a few threads in the last few months on this subject,try a search,you would probably get bored reading them all,but there is a lot of info.;)

broomy

Reaction score
Diawa Sensor, buy a bulk spool and keep it in the dark. The 6lb is very reliable. It can be obtained in either clear or a dark brownish colour. The clear for some reason seem's more visible in the water than the dark stuff. I use it on A Drennan quiver rod rated for a max of 6lb line and have no problem with unexplained snap off's. Its coped with a suprise flood water Barble to 10lbs and Carp to 15lbs. In fact its the only coarse fishing mono I use in strains from 4lbs to 15lbs.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Diawa Sensor, buy a bulk spool and keep it in the dark. The 6lb is very reliable. It can be obtained in either clear or a dark brownish colour. The clear for some reason seem's more visible in the water than the dark stuff. I use it on A Drennan quiver rod rated for a max of 6lb line and have no problem with unexplained snap off's. Its coped with a suprise flood water Barble to 10lbs and Carp to 15lbs. In fact its the only coarse fishing mono I use in strains from 4lbs to 15lbs.

The clear only starts in 8lb and upwards.

metta

Reaction score

Thanks for that mate, I'm thinking I will be getting some asap this sound good. I do prefer clear line but I suppose there is alot of covering on the water bed.