I need your help for this great river

P

Phil Hackett

OK people I need some help with a bit of research I’m doing, which has sprung out of a conversation I had with a friend, Wayne Moores of the Three Counties Group.

Wayne expressed concern to me about the sharp drop in Chub catches on the upper R. Severn. Wayne and the other members of the 3C group are all extremely competent chub angler who have fished the upper Severn for many years, so I take what they are saying as a serious issue.

So here’s what I would like you good people to do for me if you fish the Severn or know anybody who does and you can get the info off them to post.

I would like to know –
1. Whether you have noticed whether you chub catches have gone down or up on previous years.
2. Are the same swims you previous fished still producing fish for you or not.
3. Has the size of the fish your are catching now, gone up or down on previous years.
4. Has the weed growth increased or decreased to what it was in previous years where you fish.
5. Have you witnessed any evidence in the increase of Otters on the river?
6. We all know that there is a cormorant problem, but have the numbers you are seeing now increase on what you were seeing 5 years ago.

Note when giving a comparative figure, could you say which years you are comparing it to. E.g. Now against 1980, 85 & 91……….

I would also like to here from the Pleasure and Match angler in regards to small chub/lets
Are your catches producing more small chub/lets now or not?
Again state the years you are comparing them against.

To make it easy for people and so it doesn’t divulged where you are or have been fishing, I’ll brake the river down into sections as follows.

1. Very upper Severn Newtown to the Vyrnwy confluence at Melverley.
2. The R. Vyrnwy
3. Melverley – Shrewsbury
4. Shrewsbury – Bridgenorth
5. Bridgenorth – Worcester
6. Worcester – Estuary

So what do I intend to do with this mass of information you supply me with?
I intend to analyse it, the detail of which for now I’ll not bore you with. Submit it to the EA for the Fisheries Action Plan (FAP) for the Severn. Publish it on here and make available to all those who want it and make dammed sure the Angling Weeklies get it as well.

I intend to run the research gathering exercise for the next three months and then do the analysis on it. It’s the rivers close season soon, so you’ll have time to do the comparisons I would think.

Could I make a special plea to the BS.
Steve, I know your members catch chub whilst Barbeling could you put this up on your site as an exercise in joint working for the benefit of river angling please!

Finally, if you are more comfortable e-mailing it direct to me you can do. My e-mail is in my profile.

T

The Monk

Look forward to reading your completed work mate, I enjoyed your paper on the Medlock

P

Phil Hackett

No excuses now, the seasons ended! Lets have some information from you PLEASE.