Magic potions

C

Chrisx Ess

I reckon it would be a good idea to have a new topic based on the above. We could all post our fave stuff. Alternately, it could be a database which we could search when wanting to find out about something we've heard of...new additions could be posted for us to peruse, like any other post. Articles from magazines like Coarse Fisherman could be used. For example, last year there was an article on making dips which I found very informative.

K

Kevan Farmer

Dark brown sugar added to sweetcorn. I freeze it then let it thw to draw in the sugar. I firmly believe this adds to to the power of corn as a bait. This feeling stems from the fact that for over 20 yrs I could not get a touch on sweetcorn. Out of the blue I had the idea of adding db sugar to somecorn I had to put in the freezer. Next time I used it the corn had taken on a nice dark hue and smelled wonderful. Best of all I caught on it.

Likewise, I always add turmeric to my maggots - when I use them. It seems to work for me and it's cheap enough.

Kevan

R

Rodney Wrestt

Kevan,
Isn't that the same as molasas, one of my faves.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Dont know if its still used as im just getting back into fishing after 10 yrs away but i used to get this powdered liver stuff that was great on all baits a spinkle on maggots or sweetcornn was very good on days with finicky bites (seem to make them bite harder), also crumbling an oxo into your maggot box was popular.
nesquick strawberry and or banana milkshake powder was also good both as a sprinkle and mixed into groundbait.

D

David Will

Finely ground fenugreek seeds and/or finely ground fennel seeds to maggots.Fenugreek is a natural feed inducer, fennel because big Roach like it.
Codlivine powder to groundbait,summer only.
Ground black pepper to hemp.
Liquid mollases to groundbait.
Oyster sauce as a bait dip.
Reddy brown dye to groundbaits in an attempt to mimic the colour of a bloodworm bed ,only a theory but did not do any harm last three years or so.

daren heslop

Reaction score
2 litres of veg oil and add 4 fish stock cubes,2 jars of salmon paste,1/2 a bottle of nam pla fish sauce.Add too groundbait as needed.This gear reeks but seems to draw fish.Keeps women away though.

K

Kevan Farmer

Rodney. I suspect my dark brown sugar recipe is the same as adding molasses. It's just that I use this because we had some left over from years ago. It was still ok but unlikely to be used in the kitchen so I tried it. Likewise with Bovril. Nobody in our house likes the stuff but my mum's partner did. I went over to her house one day and she was in the process of throwing some stuff out - her partner had died :-( This jar of Bovril was in the stuff to be chucked. So I snaffled it for flavouring groundbait when I'm barbelling.

Kevan

R

Rodney Wrestt

I've done the same with a jar of Marmite, after watching all the adds on the telly my son wanted to try it....he's definetly in the hate it camp and it's been consigned to the bait bag, very sticky and thick, I imagine it stays around the dipped hookbait on the bottom for a while, it's also good when disolved it the groundbait mixing water.

L

liam king

this one isnt really a mome made one but still.. its some sort of corn found it while on holiday in France. we hadnt had much luck with the local roach and it was suggested we try this this stuff and they couldnt get enough of the stuff. I think I saw it in a fishing mag saying to use it for carp but it brings in some decent sized fish ( half lb and upwards). If you set down a fairly good bed of the stuff it sends em in to a sort of feeding frenzy. 1 or 2 pieces on the hook and scatter 4 or 5 grains every 10 mins or so if bites start to fade.

K

Kevan Farmer

Rodney. Marmite...MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Bostin' stuff. I think the trouble is too many people put it on far too thickly. Which ties in neatly to using it as a bait additive. Don't over do it.

As an aside. I tried Vegemite when I was in Australia. Now that is disgusting stuff. It's like a weak insipid version of Marmite. It's so weak I had to use about half a jar on one slice of toast. The Aussies tried to tell me it was the same as Marmite, huh. It's about the same as true Aussie beer, weak stuff.

Back to additives. Does nobody use brown bread bread dipped in honey anymore?

Kevan

R

Richard Drayson

Ground grilled hemp, added to liquidised bread - great for chub and roach as is garlic powder - one teaspoon per loaf.

D

Dave Dowson

Bread and Honey.
It used to be the only bait you could catch the Crucian carp on when they were in the Shropshire union canal near Chester.

Andy Young

Reaction score
Just viewed this thread and have decided that I fancy some Marmite on toast!!!!

As far as dips, digestives in tea is great!

Andy Young

Reaction score
4 days on.

Looks like the thread has gone stale, but me toast ain't, cos' I ate it!

Peanut butter AND Marmite on toast, try it. Trust me.

R

Rodney Wrestt

urghhhhh er no thanks Andy, are you pregnant or summit? :eek:)

Andy Young

Reaction score
"You either love it or hate it"....

....If you love it, try it with some peanut butter, but you MUST try it before comments.

Trust me with this, as i had to eat 'my words' aftre trying it!

R

Rodney Wrestt

sorry but I couldn't, guess I'm in the hate it ranks just now. I might give it a second try but still not sure about the cocktail. How did you think to try it, I know anglers are an inventive bunch but some things just don't jump out as an option?

Andy Young

Reaction score
A workmate's suggestion.

If you find that combination of things hard to swallow, then cheese and marmite probably doesn't sound your bag, but again it's something you oughta try first. I someone gave you a widge to try and didn't tell you what's in it...... (you know where that was going)

I believe that marmite compliments the cheese wonderfully, but haven't tried it with a bottle of red though! hhmmmm