Cancun - Mexico

Norman Smith

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there who has fished at Cancun and can let me know the ropes and how they got on?

S

Simon Thompson

Norman
Been to Cancun - did a day after the Big Game fish - had countless tuna in 15lb bracket and a yank on the boat had a Marlin. Did loads (bait and lure )from the shore in the lagoon and the channel running from the lagoon into the sea. I had a lot of Baracuda, snappers and gars.
Send me a PM and I'll give you a more detailed reply

S

Stu Whalley

definetly worth a day out but if you can afford it get the boat to yourself or try and find some people there to make up a [private charter as you can end up with a load of idiots . we paid 500 dollars for a private 8 hr charter and caught about 50 or 60 fish upto 60lb backbreaking stuff but excelent service and very very helpfull food a bit dodgy on the boats but apart from that excellent. Even hooked a very large shark which took a 40lb barracuda and was glad when it bit me off as it was starting to pull my arms off.look at their website http://www.worldwidefishing.com/mexico/b1832/index.html these are the people that we went with excellent service best day fishing ever. We went onboard the LA RISA excellent boat one of the cheapest but it was a lot slower than the rest of their fleet but the crew were the best they really worked hard to get us the fish and will do anything for you and are encouraging after plying a fish for 40 minutes. I would advise you to book it before you go as they can get booked up. You are not allowed to fish in the lagoon from the shore but it doesnt stop the locals,but you can go on trips on the lagoons fishing for smaller fish but apparantly there are some big ones. Difficult if not impossible to fish from the shore as they are full off swimmers during the day. Tackle is expensive out there so take what you need, and rare to find in shops easier to buy a machine gun than a fishing rod. If you need any more help email me

Norman Smith

Reaction score
Thanks to Simon and Stu for their advice. We have now been to Mexico, done our bit and come back, so I thought that you might like to know how we got on.
We had two days fishing,one deep sea and one on the lagoon.We didn't do as well as Stu on our deep sea trip but we did have a number of good amberjack and had baits chopped in half by barracudas that we failed to hook. To be honest we preferred the lagoon fishing from a boat.We only caught snappers and barracuda but both Maureen and I hooked and lost good tarpon. Heck those fish don't half go!! They spent more time in the air than they did in the water. Sadly they all managed to throw the hook but they have got us well and truly hooked and we will be back for another go as soon as we can afford it.

Norman Smith

Reaction score
We have since both caught tarpon fishing with Mark Simmonds on his boat Grand Slam 2 which is based in Tobago.
Tarpon are probably the ultimate game fish. Big but not too big and I doubt if anything anywhere fights harder or is more difficult to stay attached to.