barbel - Severn or Teme?

ron lander

Reaction score
Six fairly experienced barbel anglers including myself have just endured an 8 hour session on the Servern at Grimley and did not get a single bite between us!

I hope to get one more session in before 14 march - where should I go?

T

Terry Comerford

River Teme, Talbot Hotel, Knightwick, 01886 821235. (Road bridge pegs)
Warwickshire Avon, Manor Farm, 01386 870039.(Pegs 1 to 10)
River Salwarpe,Hawford, 0121 454 9111.(Pegs near the confluence with the Severn)

D

dave mac

Ron not the best angler there is, but when iv,e been finding it hard on the severn alway,s found caolport would produce. not the bigest of fish but seem,s best when n/wnere else is fishing always use it as my 2nd venue especially if i,m only there for a day best to fish bottom of grass bank below pub car park narrow bridge leading from ironbridge. bank is rock edge. should be able to get 8 on the one stretch best peg iv,e found is in the middle on the bend. also if the fishing is crap the pub is right behind you p/s?3 a day to fish

martin flavell

Reaction score
Hi RON
Maybe in my experiance your a little too
far down the Severn for consistant sport
this time of year. Try the Kinver Freeliner
water at Hampton Loade , Shropshire ......
meatballs score well also cheesepaste ....
permits are on on the bank or mail me for more info

S

Steve King

Both the Severn & the Teme can be difficult at this time of year. As Terry says the confluence of the Salwarpe & Severn can be good- although I've had a number of blanks there myself! Personally I'd give the Teme around Eardiston a bash, but as always it depends on conditions.

D

Dave Johnson

Barbel alley still produces, but as mentioned before, mainly shoal fish-4-7lb.
I f you are down at Grimley, unless there is a bit of water on then you would struggle.....The kinver stretch at Hampton by the Unicorn offers reasonable winter sport as Martin says. I would personally go for just above Bridgnorth town as far back as Atcham....and hope for the best, failing that, I hear Makins is still chucking some big Barbs out....:eek:)

ron lander

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info. I am going to investigate a few places friday and have a day next week. My interest is large (10lb+) barbel. Did very well in 2001-2002 but really struggled this year. Have recently moved to Malvern so am now a bit closer to the severn and teme and will be getting out more often next season.

T

Terry Comerford

Ron, if you fancy a stillwater after March 14th, try Leigh Sinton Fisheries Malvern.
Superb carp in summer and big roach in winter.

ron lander

Reaction score
I've fished leigh sinton fisheries, only live 500 yards from it! It also has some nice chub.

Makins is on my blacklist - had my car broken into during my first and last trip!

Fished a few places for stilwater barbel and the fish have been in good condition so I don't see what all the fuss is about. I you lot were barbel, and had a choice on the severn or makins to live where would you choose?

martin flavell

Reaction score
If i were a Barbel (though many have said i look like one) I,d sooner live in a drain than makins......nah Severn everytime !