Post Coding Tackle

B

Birds Nest

I've been thinking more and more recently about tackle theft. Specifically whilst fishing, you know the story, doze off to find your rods gone..

Has anyone Post coded their rods, reels etc? I?m thinking of getting a UV pen and doing mine, or an engraver?

S

Stu Black

Have a word with the crime prevention officer in your local nick, see what they think

D

David Will

BN UV needs to be read under UV and who has one of those handy , engraving is more obvious and a jewellers will do metal items at a small cost.Best practice is not to let it all go missing in the first place so as Stu say's your local Crime Prevention Officer can assist for free but be prepared to spend a bit of money.

R

Richard Drayson

I've heard about something called 'microdots'.
Don't know anything about it, other than it's some type of anti-theft device.
Might be worth looking into.

G

Gerry Castles

I'm not so sure about engraving rods, I'd take some advice first. it may be that the process will weaken a thin walled blank, particularly modern rods which are prone to shatter if subjected to impact.

P

Phil Heaton

It may well be better to buy and fit strong locks and hasps to your garage / shed and maybe even fit an alarm , then take out good insurance for cover when the thief beats you. At least you will be left with the delight of buying new up to date tackle if its stolen.
My Axa household contents policy fully covered my losses when I was robbed and the service was fast and efficient. Fosters of Birmingham did the valuation and supply of the new gear, they were very fair and I felt that somehow I had come out on top from a very dissapointing experience.

C

Chris Bishop

Microdots - this is the same as smart water, which is a pricy kind of security marking which guarantees you your own unique code.

How about these mircochips like they tag dogs and cats with - size of a grain of rice, easily get one in a rod, reel etc.

I know a couple of crime prevention guys, they can't believe how many people stick a couple of grand's worth of gear in a shed with a ?10 padlock protecting it.

B

Birds Nest

Try to Avoid the local Cop shop..... Small matter of several small village post offices.. I dunno you go in with a bananna up yer Jumper and they lob cash at you and ring a bell...

Might get my hands on an engraver... Failing that I'll start buying cr@p kit... Wheres me Badger catalogue... Ohh Err hello Mr Taylor...

R

Rodney Wrestt

Small transfer letters from art shops and a couple of coats of varish over the details you want on the rod?

J

John McLaren

Referring back to the suggested visit to the cop shop. They put postcodes on suitable items (bikes mainly) with a set of punches and a hammer. Might do wonders for the action of your new rod! :0)

Seems that insurance and sound locks may be the the only alternative.

C

Cakey

Do what Ive done,take out your butt plugs and insert rolled up piece of paper with all details on,refit butt plug.
This only works if after they have been stolen you locate them somewhere you can prove they are yours.
I still think I could find the needle in a haystack easier but it all helps.