Syringes

S

Stuart Harvey

Where can I get a syringe for injecting lobs, deadbaits etc?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Stuart,
they sell them in the pred section of the tackle shops, they have a wide bore tube rather than a needle.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Stuart, round here you can pick em up off the tow path of the canal......

Sorry about that (true though), they are available from a good many outlets mate, but be carfull when using a syringe to inject air, keep the needle well away from your own flesh, cos an air bubble in the blood stream is a killer!!!

Hope I'm not getting you to suck eggs and all that, Keep the needles in their covers when not in use, and don't put the worm on yer leg(or other) whilst you try to get the needle in..............Like I once did...not good news.

A

Andy Doughty

I stuck a large bore pike needle in my finger once along with about 3 or 4 mls of fish oil. I was just waiting to collapse and go into a coma (or a comma).

The Fox air/oil kit has a load of needles of different sizes in it and as long as you keep them clean and wash them after use they dont get clogged up. I did one get some needles from a local needle exchange, but they were all the little thin ones, no good for injecting smelt oil, but they would be great for getting air into lobs.

D

Dave O'L

Err...!
just to let you know lads know we don't have to worry about air bubbles.
James Bond etc have a lot to answer for regarding this one.

Air in the blood stream can kill, but you have to consider it has to be in a blood vessel, vein or artery & it has to be quite an amount. I was told it had to amount to a bubble @ 50 mm long. This is quite a lot.
Take it from me, in my professional career I have had a lot to do with needles. It's difficult to inject yourself as you feel the needle go in.
If you are unlucky to sit on a needle 1st it would have to left with air in it & 2ndly you would have to be pretty unlucky for the needle to go into a blood vessel, vein or artery & stay there while the air is injected.

My reation when I've pricked myself fishing is to swear & not continue pressing the plunger, I'm quite sure most people would react in the same way.

D

Dave O'L

By the way Andy, I think you are referring to subcutaneous needles. Diabetics e.g. use them as they are for just slipping under the skin.
I've used these with success with worms as they don't make such a big hole, hence the air escaping.
The 2 biggest needles (green & beige colour) are better for oily substances as I've used these for oil based injections. They also allow the flavour to escape.

A source of syringes (without needles) would be the Pharmacy as they are given out/sold with baby medication as spoons sometimes don't work???

A thought 'cos as anglers we keep the needles.
In the health service, one of the biggest causes of needlestick injury is resheathing needles - that is why we don't do it anymore, putting it straight into a sharps box. I think this is when we are likely to jab ourselves, after it's just come out of the worm etc (Yuk!).

S

Stuart Harvey

So I can just drop into a chemists can I and get one? They won't think I'm some sort of crack head?

F

Fred Bonney

If your concerned, just ask them for replacements for your holiday kit.It's always good to have them in your travel kit,in some countries.Just in case!

T

The Monk

if your really frendly,
they'll also keep you supplied with artery forceps

D

Dave O'L

Stuart, I've not had to ask for needles but I know you can get syringes as they have them on sale. It's a recognised way of giving little 'stop daddy from going fishing' monsters their Calpol.

By the way Stuart I hope your fishing is better than your drug habit?
You don't need a syringe if your a 'crack head'. :eek:)

S

Stuart Harvey

Perhaps I mean smack. Shall have to watch Trainspotting again.

Anyway I went down Boots' today, but they don't do needle syringes unless you've got diabetes.

D

Dave O'L

I think unfortunatly it's down to paying a small fortune at a tackle shop then Stuart.

D

Dave O'L

Mind you Stuart, The Monk looks like he's carrying a mighty big syringe there?
Is it one of those James Herriot would have used to blow up a cow's teat?

S

Stu Black

Dont know about that but what i do know is I'd never shake hands with that Herriot bloke!

C

Chrisx Ess

I think you might be able to buy some syringes - the bigger ones - at a garden centre. I got one when I bought a cheapo printer refill kit.

D

Dave O'L

You wouldn't want to link arms with him either Stu, wonder what his missus thought of his technique?

I 'fink it ain't syringes that be the problem but the needles?
Wonder what the 'law men' spy networks are thinking of this thread - as they pick up on keywords?

S

Stu Black

Arse, smack, crack, needles and vets? Thats one hell of a big money paysite!