Weirpools

B

Birds Nest

I love weirpools. Nice article Graham, have I read it before though?

Where is that great looking pool on the Dove?

P

pons

Hi Graham,
I think the idea of Fishing 10lb + line on Float Tackle ,on a Float Rod is way over the Top,apart from presentation being rubbish,try breaking out of a snag even on three pound line,without having to walk backwards.
You wont be running a stick float at them on that clobber mukker,at least not half properly.
Even power float rods were not designed for that bs of line.
Regards,
Chris.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You probably have read it before. I reproduced it on the site because somebody was asking about fishing weirpools. The weirpool pictured is on the river Dane.

Chris,
Two of the weirpools I fish are full of snags and I need that strength of line to stop the barbel from diving into them. You're right that it's harder to pull for a break on 10lb line (8lb bottom), but I'm less likely to get snagged in the first place due to a hooked fish.

I agree that the presentation is much less than perfect with such heavy line, but I'm willing to sacrifice a few bites for the greater chance of landing any fish I hook. And I use a modern, low diameter line which is thinner than many lines of lesser strength.

I use a Harrison 12ft 9in specimen float rod which is well up for the job.

I must admit my line strength recommendations are a little OTT, but better that than recommending lighter gear that is going to leave line trailing from fish when used in less experienced hands.