Black Groundbait???

Matthew White

Reaction score
In "Coarse Angling Today" a few months ago, Stef Horak described a session he had on the Trent where he fished casters and hemp through an open end feeder. He plugged the ends of the feeder with 'Black' groundbait (he prepared it the night before the session, mixing it with crushed hemp, hemp juice and hemp oil).

Does anyone know what this Black Groundbait is?

I assume it would not be a fishmeal mix as Stef has said in other articles when he fishes caster and hemp he does not use any fishmeal or pellet.

Matt

jcp01

Reaction score
Something like Sensas 'canal black' type of thing, perhaps? - black for very clear water so that spooky fish will move over it and feed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Black groundbaits

The ones I know of, and have used are:

Sensas Magic Black - very fine for use of heavily fished or very clear waters

Van den Eynde Super Black - similar to Sensas above

Van den Eynde Black Turbo - heavier than Super Black used on fast flowing or deeper waters.

There may be others that I am not familiar with, but then I use Sensas and Van den Eynde exclusively.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with either Company other than as a satisfied customer.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I don't know about Stef but I always darken down my groundbait if it's too light in colour, I use a powdered dye from Sensas, I tend to bulk out my mix with crumb so even though the
vde%20supermatch.JPG
I use is black it benefits from a dash of
Sensas%20Black.jpg
and you don't need much, I've had the same bottle for about 6 years.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
You can get the Koi method mix in black and amino green. Can't remember the maker, but I'm sure you can find it in your local shop if you have a rummage around.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Black groundbait

A company called Cookes, from Rotherham, sell Black Crumb. They also supply Jolleys, the pet food chain.

It's just dyed Brown Crumb as is available in 20kg sacks. The last one I bought was only about £11, but that was a couple of years ago.

A

alan whittington

You can get the Koi method mix in black and amino green. Can't remember the maker, but I'm sure you can find it in your local shop if you have a rummage around.
Dynamite baits i think Sean,its a fishmeal based product.