Bass in Morecambe

R

Rob Brownfield

Has anyone got any info on the bass at Heysham Power Station. I want to try them in a couple of weekends, mainly on the fly and lures,
Cheers

M

Martin James

Rob Its a bit early as yet But of course one can never say no or yes in angling Go and give it a try Poppers on a nine or ten weight rod is a good way of fishing also one of the clear sink tip lines wth a clouser minnow or deceiver. I will be visiting the place shortly Sadly we have people netting the bass I have complained to the sea fisheroes also MAFF trying to get it banned I will keep trying as I feel nursery areas should be left alone from netting In fact no netting of our shoreline should be allowed also those that do it dont care about the environment Its all pin money, No doubt on top of the DSS handouts Cheers Martin

J

Joe Foxall

reading your reply dated 24/03/01 i think it was totally out of order that the out of work should get the blame for the illegal use of nets in morecambe. i lived there for some time and more than once came to blows over out of towners taking under sized fish,to the point of reporting it to maff.i did this for 2years and some of the people were prosecuted.
the nets came from some one in burnley and only stays on the camp during bass season and the rest of the undersized fish caught were on rod and line mostly by the blackpool clan.
and i was on a dhhs hand out at the time while the above who came regular were at work or on the permanent sick (so they say).
your best method is shrimp rigs and red gills.

R

Rob Brownfield

Joe. I dont think Martin came across too well there. he is a genuine guy who feels passionatly about his fishing, but I am sure Martin can defend himself if he feels the need.

As for the Bass. I never got there in the end. I love fly fishing in the sea and really fancied a bash at them (returning them). I tried done in Norfolk with the Rapala but did not even see a fish :eek:(

The Redgills work up here in Scotland too.

S

Stu Whalley

Just read the above and the guys mentioned netting above mainly are doing it for beer money as I know who they are.
Best bet and cheapest instead of lures is a single redgill with a small baitcaster setup.
The best redgills ive found are small white ones about an inch long resembling shrimps and small fry Ive even had bass leaping out of the water to get them after the retrieve.