Help with Reel Identification

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm trying to get a spare check pawl for my centrepin, but it doesn't look like it's the reel I thought it was! I bought it new in the early 1990's and I thought it was made by Dave Swallow. On doing a bit of research it looks like it might be an Arnold Bob James Kingfisher, but it doesn't look quite like the pics of this reel on the Barbel Catchers' site. Here are a couple of pics:

sean-meeghan-albums-sean-s-pictures-picture1825-reel-1.jpg

sean-meeghan-albums-sean-s-pictures-picture1826-reel-2.jpg

Any ideas?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Haven't seen those in yearsssssssssssss.....

It wouldn't be an Arnold, BJ did have three made up and Arnold Engineering put his name nicely on it. Then he told Arnold, allegedly, that they could sell reels with his name on if he got a cut. That's what the then owner of Arnold told me and he also told me his reply to BJ.

This was after the one you have Sean.

I'm afraid I have no idea who made yours, but they were made for a company called Relum, who were wholesalers and (sort of) manufacturers and sold as Relum brand. They did some good stuff and were agents for Hutchy's stuff, I got a couple of bivvies from them and some other items.

One was a BJ unhooking mat/net bag. Great idea and still have it, but the inner lining is starting to crack now at the edges.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:54 ----------

I just found this posted by Richard Drayson, way back -

Barry,

The Arnold Kingpin was never endorsed by Bob James, he had his name etched (with a Kingfisher) on the back of the very similar looking reels made by Relum.
The reel that you see Bob using in "Passion For Angling" is in fact a Swallow Centrepin

Arnold Kingpin reels, were originally made by R.Arnold Engineers who are no longer trading, they are now being manufactured to an even higher specification by K W Engineering of Poole, Dorset.

Likewise the Swallow Centrepin, originally made by Dave Swallow of Ringwood, but now being made by Rich (forget his surname) of Ringwood Tackle.

OH and BTW, the "Barry" to whom it was directed was BAZ! I'm fairly sure.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Someone who might be able to help is The FISHINGCOACH - who wrote in one of his articles (down that page)
"I fished one in conjunction with a Relum centrepin (very similar to the Arnold Kingpin and the old Swallow centrepin)."

Of course, you could try asking Bob James himself.......... :wh

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I think it's the Relum copy of the Dave Swallow reel. The BJ ones were a limited edition (?). I own a non-BJ one and it's a great reel for barbel/pike/carp etc but too heavy for a trotting reel imho. The early ones were made in the UK and the later ones were made in India. I'm told that the later ones were better than the earlier - but that's just received wisdom.
Warning! Put some ptfe tape on the spindle thread as the main knurled nut that holds the spool on has a habit of working itself loose and dropping off never to be seen again.

---------- Post added at 05:08 ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 ----------

PS - you might be able to just turn the pawl over. This works on a lot of pins.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Yes the reel is definitely a Relum, its exactly the same as mine except for the BJ logo. As geoff said, a great heavy duty centrepin but you need a big float and a stong current to trot with it.
As for a spare check pawl I would suggest you contact Gary Mills of The Mill Tackle Company The Mill Tackle Company: Fishing Reel Repairs, Servicing & Restoration who may be able to help as he used to work for J W Youngs and has an engineering background.
However if you still have the old pawl any competent engineer should be able to make a copy.

Best of luck, let me know how you got on.

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Haven't seen those in yearsssssssssssss.....

It wouldn't be an Arnold, BJ did have three made up and Arnold Engineering put his name nicely on it. Then he told Arnold, allegedly, that they could sell reels with his name on if he got a cut. That's what the then owner of Arnold told me and he also told me his reply to BJ.

Of course, you could try asking Bob James himself.......... :wh

Puts himself about a bit does our Bob.

Bob James Limited Edition Centrepin Reel - Only 3 Left! on eBay (end time 14-Mar-10 13:50:45 GMT) Made by Fox? Looks the same reel as the two below.

JW Youngs Centrepin reel BJ Lightweight Y2080L on eBay (end time 06-Mar-10 21:01:52 GMT)

JW Youngs Centrepin reel BJ Lightweight Y2084L on eBay (end time 06-Mar-10 21:14:23 GMT)