Angling in the Real World

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There are some great topics to get your teeth into here, not least being the sinister implications behind the RSPB connection with keeping the river close season. Is Barrie right? Do we need to ?get real??

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

A really interesting article .The points Barrie makes are perfectly true.

F

Fergal Scully

I think you have to watch out over there in Britain. You could end up with a situation like Germany where catch and release is illegal, keepnets are therefore illegal and so matchfishing is illegal.
PS Graham any chance of gettin that Hybrid scan sent to me?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Fergal, I'll do it later this week. At the mo' I'm up to my neck trying to catch up with work after a week off and then attending an all day meeting on Monday.

R

Ron Clay

On pages 4 & 5 of Angling Times today is an interview with Labour MP Martin Salter. It all sounds great it does, but Barrie, I think our web site would like your comments on this article. Is it genuine, or a Labour Party Ploy to prvent as many anglers as possible from joining the CA march?
MP Salter's prime statement is; "It depresses me that anglers have been hoodwinked by the blood sports lobby into thinking that angling should have anything to do with their obscene activities."
Come on Barrie and the rest of us - comments please....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
What exactly Chris? Barrie's or Ron's comments? Or both?

P

Peter Waller

I have the greatest respect for Barry and his opinions. But, for once, I think he is wrong. Mr Stone's contact with the RSPB must surely have done something very positive to undo the damage done by the swans and split shot issue. It must also have illustrated to a conservation group that we too are interested in conservation. Also I believe that angling is trying to head for unity. Those who 'lost' the arguement over the close season should gracefully accept that and show unity, even if they disagree, with their fellow anglers. As for the close season, it can only benefit pike by protecting them from constant year long harresment.

P

Phil Hackett

Whilst I agree with most of what Barrie states in this article, there is however, a slight inaccuracy in the section on the river close season. Barrie you stated,
“There were, understandably, great cheers from the pro-close season lobby when the MAFF decided against the Review Committee and Moran Committee recommendation of scrapping the close season on rivers.”
I should point out to you and the readers of this and your article, The Moran Committee did not recommend the scrapping the close season on rivers.” In fact it recommended that the close season on rivers should stay.

The recommendation for a close season on rivers to stay was a proposal from the SACG and was fully accepted by the Moran Committee.

Before you dive in Barrie, I have attended all but the last two SACG meetings and have before writing this spoken to Tim, who as you know attended the committee on behalf of SACG. Tim has confirmed to me that the above is correct.
Sorry to have to make this point but as the article is entitled Angling in the Real World, lets keep Real!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
This reply is from Barrie Rickards:

Many thanks to Phil Hackett for the correction: it was, in fact, only the Review Committee which recommended scrapping of the river close season, not the Moran Committee. This was an unintentional slip on my part. Sorry.

To Peter Waller I agree that those who lost the argument should accept it gracefully. I believe I have done so. However, if we really believe in conservation I have to say that we'd be better off scrapping the river's close season. Clearly the Review Committee felt that too.

I wasn't impressed by Martin Salter's interview Ron. Anyone who has been on one of the Hyde Park rallies, or on the last March, knows that anglers have not been hoodwinked by anybody. Nor have all those country people who are not hunters - by far the vast majority.

This government is urban controlled and urban run and as far as the countryside movement is concerned the government's aim is divide and conquer. Anglers are really borderline to the issues and will be ditched by all whenever it is convenient or votes count.

Barrie Rickards.

P

Peter Waller

Barrie suggests that if we really believe in conservation then we would be better off scrapping the rivers close season. I'd like to think that I have a reasonably open mind so I would appreciate more on this thought, both from Barrie and others. It's not a theory that I can appreciate with what information that I have. Barry, as I see him, is steered by rational thought, bit of a Dr.Spock! Me, I'm steered more by emmotion but I am open to the opinions of others. By the way, if you read this Barry, we met at Stowmarket, you autographed a book for me. I enjoyed the evening, thanks.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
An explanation from Barrie can be found here:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=&UAN=583&from=>'The Rivers' Close Season'</A>

P

Peter Waller

I have read Barries bit on the Rivers Close season as suggested. I think the point about vegetation growing around anglers needs has some merit but insufficient to cause me to change my mind on this one. In a nut-shell I think we have a perfect solution in place. Those who want a close season have one on the rivers. Those who don't can fish the commercial or club still-waters. Seems everybody has a chance to be happy over this one.

T

Terry Morley

Not me, yes theres always one. how can anglers call "close season" when local bye laws say fish on.. your alright with a worm anyone can do it! (Barring a couple of weeks of course.} I'm sorry but there is NO anglers close season on Rivers. Please someone tell otherwise.