Effects of the moon on fishing

P

Philip Inzani

I think the moon has an effect on our fishing, for example I have never done very well when there is a full bright moon....what do you think ?

Anyone kept a detailed diary on this type of thing ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There is a very intense debate going on about this topic on the Mailing List right now. What I said was this: I've only given the subject some passing thought rather than gone into it in any depth, but I do believe the moon phase has an influence on fish behaviour. But like all the other elements we readily accept have an effect (temperature, pressure, wind, oxygen, rain, light) the moon effect has to be taken in context with all the other elements. For instance, a choppy surface is generally better than a calm surface, but not if that choppy surface has been caused by a blisteringly cold east wind in winter when the water temperature is already very low.

A full moon can often mean the kiss of death to a night session, but not if the pressure is right and the water is already warm...............

S

Steve Randles

Would anyone like to e-mail me with their fishing captures or blanks, as I am trying to establish connections with the moon and fishing results.

P

philip forester

I too have been looking at similar things since reading the centre spread featured in Angling Times on Chris Lyons and his work on moon phases and fish feeding.
Have now obtained a chart after much searching which so far I have found to be accurate.Thought you might be interested to note that Mr. Lyons may be contacted via email;
chris_lyons30@hotmail.com
Regards, Phil

K

Keith Finn

So far as I can see, the only effect the moon has had on my night fishing is I can bait up my hook without a torch.

S

sean archer

well last night i was fishing with chris lyons (04-09-2000) on the severn @ 18.55 hrs i missed a good knock (predicted by chris), i had to leave @ 21.00 hrs. chris stayed on and at the predicted moon set caught 10.04. this can be verified by cooperman as he took the photo. spooky or what?
chris, next time tie me to my rod.

regards

sean

ps hi sedge

C

Carp Angler

Sean, Sedge asked me to say 'hi' back. He can't make it onto the forum.

G

Goose Ganderton

I saw an old episode of Screaming Reels on Sky the other week when Nick Fisher was fishing for wide mouth bass in the states and he said that they have a saying over there which is "big moon = big fish" I am going barbel fishing for the next couple of days and the moon is a day or two off being full so ill let you know how i get on.