Anglers Mail

metta

Reaction score
Who here gets this? I'm woundering is it worth getting, how intresting is it to read and what do you often find inside the magazine?

- Cheers.

tortoise100

Reaction score
I like it but it only takes me around 2 hours to read and about a third of the mag is devoted to a pointless were to fish section .
I find that it is good that it is not too into fishing politics like the AT and the articles can be very good I like the Ian welsh section every week.
( I would call AM first to report a record "in my dreams" as AT would rip the story apart and make you sound like a lier or maybe they only do that to people who call AM first ?)

In my opinion AM is like talking to a friend about fishing when the AT is a bit like the sun or sunday sport somtimes with lots of pointless storys they create that they then change or refute the next week also far too much mach fishing stuff though some of it must be getting to the old grey cells as i just had my best session ever at a comercial 65 fish !!
AT even has the cheek to report about the shame that it is hard to get sponsers for the england team when it is obvious that they should be sponsering it since they care so much them or dragon carp.

I do subscribe to the Angling times as it takes me longer to read it cover to cover but then I am a reading junky , when I am feeling rich or like a treat I buy the Anglers mail as well.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Metta,

I only buy a Fishing Magazine now if there is something specific in the Mag that i really want to read.

The rest of the Information that i want, i get for free off this team of readily available experts right here on FM.

Save your Money and ask the experts on here.

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Depending on where you live I'd look at the Angling Star. The reason I ask about where you live is that ist very much focussed on the North of England being published in Sheffield.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I hadn't read either of the weeklies for years until I recently read a copy of the AM and was very pleasantly surprised. It was very interesting and I thought it was excellent value for money. And I got a free spool of line :)

honslow

Reaction score
Geoff, what's your address so I can send you a complimentary copy of AT? Then you can see what you're really missing....

honslow

Reaction score
Only Geoff, you Paul can't have a free copy! Nah, nah!

bear dies

Reaction score
I only buy the one these days, thats the Mail, it seems a little bit more in touch with the modern day fisherman.

The Times has gone mad, I mean how many of us have put up our "free" bait poster !!

And the Des taylor column is a waste of sbs time for the sake of sbs. a sweepstake has been started in our club, on how many sbs times sbs can be sbs mentioned by a sbs man who never goes sbs fishing for anything but spouts **** for the sake of something to write, oh he does sponsor a sbs match team, and lots of people only catch on sbs !!! im on a 103 !! so come on des, mention it less this year !!

get the mail, read the times in tescos and get a lotto ticket with the money !!

baz the ex times reader

Reaction score
Geoff, what's your address so I can send you a complimentary copy of AT? Then you can see what you're really missing....

LOL, You big poacher! Think you misread the copy there Greg, the thread title clearly states he's asking about the Angler's Mail not AT.

dezza

Reaction score
Let's do a simple vote on how you would want an angling newspaper to be run.

Simple yes or no answers are all that are needed.

1: More Matt Hayes?

2: More Mick Brown?

3: More Martin Bowler?

4: More Bob Nudd?

5: More Des Taylor?

6: More Keith Arthur?

7: None of the above, let's have a whole new team of writers?

8: More angling politics?

9: A Game fishing column?

10: A Sea Angling column?

11: More advertising?

12: More overseas angling?

13: More match fishing?

14: Comment on any other aspects of what you would like to see in the newspaper.

15: A page 3 floozy?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score

Thanks Greg but it won't bring you any more readers :) In 1963 I submitted a tench of 2 1/4lb to the Angling Times Kingfisher Club. I hoped to get a certificate and a badge. This was a HUGE fish for the lake I caught it from (Fred Bonny and Cliff Hatton - it was the Perch Pond on Harold Hill).

I still have the 'I'm sorry but your fish wasn't big enough' letter from the AT, it's tucked into the flyleaf of my copy of Izaak Walton.

I swore an oath that day that I would never buy a copy of the AT again, and I never have. True story.

The only time I was more disappointed was the day I discovered that I needed 20/20 vision to be accepted as a fighter pilot - which was a couple of weeks later. I was wearing National Health frames at the time with dreams of being the next Johnny Johnson.

maver man

Reaction score
I think caters more for the match or pleasure angler as apposed to the specimen side of things, i used to get it but moved onto Total Carp :)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Poor old Ron would like to see a headline like the one I've got here:
'**** Walker does it again' 25th June 1954.

My advice to Metta is to try Angler's Mail for 6 weeks. See how you like it and take it from there. If not then try the same for Angling Times. Give each a decent trial.

All of us are at different stages in our angling careers; I know that when I started I was so hungry for knowledge that I was completely blown away by the weeklies - it opened up a whole new world. The hunger has abated little since. Over the years both papers have had some very talented writers including BB, **** Walker, Fred J Taylor, Colin Willock, Arnold Wiles and so on...I loved the match angling columns in the early 70s even if they were ghost written.

metta

Reaction score
Thanks for all that info I think I will defo just stick with using FM. I will do that "survey" in one moment.

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

1: More Matt Hayes? Nope

2: More Mick Brown? Maybee

3: More Martin Bowler? Nope

4: More Bob Nudd? Possibly

5: More Des Taylor? Nope

6: More Keith Arthur? Nope

7: None of the above, let's have a whole new team of writers?

8: More angling politics?

9: A Game fishing column? Yes - If Needs Be

10: A Sea Angling column? Nope

11: More advertising? - Nope

12: More overseas angling? - Possibly

13: More match fishing? - Yeah

14: Comment on any other aspects of what you would like to see in the newspaper.

15: A page 3 floozy? - Suppose it wouldn't hurt.

honslow

Reaction score
Top post Geoff! They were desirable those Kingfisher badges.....
I like reading Welchy's column...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
They were desirable those Kingfisher badges.....

Indeed they were Greg, I've still got mine somewhere in a box in the attic, I think.

I saw a new (to me anyway) magazine at the airport on Monday morning; "Carp and Coarse Angler" so I bought a copy and read most of it last night.

It is a very, very good magazine, very few adverts (18 pages out of 146) and a lot of diverse content covering virtually all species of fish. Pretty good photography too.

I'll get it again and hope to see the standard maintained.

Last edited: