Berkeley digital scales

J

John Pleasance

Has anybody bought a set of these scales?

If so what are they like,and how does the lifetime battery work,is it solar powered?

I can only find one review of them on the net from an American site and their main concern was that the hook wasn't sharp enough!!!!

K

Karl Miles

I had heard, from somebody selling Rapala digitals, that the Berkeley's display steams up in the cold weather

Apparently, the display is decimal rather than true pounds and ounces too.

I don't know if these comments are true, they're only what I've heard.

S

Sascha Welsch

I bought a set of Salter digital scales John. Rated to 55lb and accurate to half an ounce they display in Lb and oz, kg and g and even decial lbs. They feature a tare and hold function and really are awesomely accurate. I've had mine for a year now and am very impressed. Recent tests useing known weights showed them still to be spot on accurate. Not cheap, but worth the outlay if you're need accurate weights from low down to high (if for example you fish for smaller species like perch to big pike like myself. We all know how difficult it can be to weigh small species on standard dial scales). I bought mine from a sea fishing mail order company at ?75 odd.

G

Gerry Castles

I've got the Salter digis too. The slightly inadequate hanging bar (which disappeared over the side on Oulton Broad)has been replaced with something more substantial. Other than that, they are the bees knees of scales and are highly recommended.
The battery is not 'lifetime'and needs replacing at some time in the future.

J

John Pleasance

There are still not many reviews around but they are easier to find when you spell it right. DOH. It's Berkley,not Berkeley, although google keeps asking me if I meant Berkeley.

The Berkeley scales are supposed to be waterproof and even float if dropped in water. I'll have to look at the Rapala ones as well now.

Plenty of time yet to get it right before 16th June.

J

John Pleasance

OK,guess I'd better look at the Salter ones as well.