Whaddaya do???

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just got back from a pre-baiting/swim raking session in readiness for some Tinca bashing.

The pit in question is close to a popular local drain which has needless to say just closed until June 16th.

On the way back from the pit I came across a couple of groups of youngsters float fishing the drain. I know it's probably apathetic on my part but I couldn't bring myself to play the 'responsible' adult and send them packing. I had to smile to myself at their cheek. I mean a couple of ten-year olds, biking across the fen with the rods strapped to the cross-bar and their sparse assortment of tackle stowed away in a tescos carrier bag is the very essence of angling isn't it? It seems a shame to deter any youngster showing an interest in the sport nowadays. And lets face it, they'd probably have told me to 's*d off' anyway.

What do you reckon?

Regards Chris.

L

Les Clark

Hi Chris,I feel that what you didnt do was the right way,we have all done it at that age,a lot better than a lot of the things they could be doing and one of them may grow up to be a good angler.

D

David Will

Let them get on with it.Make sure they have a bit of decent advice on how to catch a few hooks etc and wish them luck.

P

Phil Hatton

's*d off' !! You must have some well brought up kids down there Chris.
Good call though mate.

T

The Monk

yeah leave em to it mate, we are getting few enough kids in the sport as it is!

B

Bob Watson

Join em! you might have got a PB,
I'd leave em to get on with on it, the waters I poached (in and out of season) deliberately as a kid and got caught on without so much as a "b*****r off and don't do it again". Good days, kids days, I'd have tied em a few presentable hook lengths and got em catching then turned a blind eye.

R

Robert Draper

I'd have told them to keep out of sight... the reason why poachers are better anglers than regulars is that they are less visible ;-)

S

Stuart Bullard

.......and what would happen to them, or their parents, if they had been caught by the EA? Although Rocking Horse sh.t springs to mind!

I dont see any problem with educating them. In other words "hey guys, did you know that......".

You dont have to send them off with a flea in theirear. If they were then abusive I would dob them in for being horrible! If they said, "oh, we didn't know", just tell 'em its wrong, and be careful.

Just a different view. We know the laws are there, even if we do not agree with them. I do empathise with the sentiments above though.

W

Wag

If it was a weekday perhaps they would have been better off in school. On the other hand they might learn more on the bank.
I'd be inclined to leave them to it, I never got away with it as a lad because my dad was a lock-keeper and water bailiff, and everybody in our village new everyone else, so the chances of a quiet afternoon sciving by the river never happened - I wish I could go back to those times now -lucky bu$$ers.