Pseudonyms - Good or Bad?

dezza

Reaction score
The late Barrie Rickards comments have prompted this thread. One of the last conversations I had with Barrie prior to his death was about anglers who post on websites from behind pseudonyms. Barrie, quite frankly, could not understand such a practice. And neither can I.

I always thought that hiding behind a pseudonym was a sign of cowardice. My old Dad used to tell me to "Put Up or Shut Up". Certainly many newspapers will not publish a letter to the editor if you do not sign the letter with your real name and address.

But it's different on websites I guess.

Website forums are basically open to all sorts of odd characters who think it is big to be a rude as possible. And those who do this, virtually ALL reside behind a false name. And strangely enough, some think that the using of a false name is a basic human right!

Personally I have very little regard for those who use false names. Doing so, invalidates their points of view.

But come on now - no rudeness - What do you think?
---------------------------------------------------

Life Member - Angling Trust

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Personally I have very little regard for those who use false names. Doing so, invalidates their points of view.

So you have no sympathy for those of us who "do it" at work ? Cannot appreciate some of the wonderfully thought out and genuinley pseudonyms that appear from time to time on forums near and far (not mine obvioulsy) ? Maybe not realise that I might not want Ron the Hat Clay, or anyone esle for that matter to know where I live (approximately) and lob half a charlie through my window because they dont like my view ? Or perhaps, if I did use my real name you would realise I know **** all really about angling and therefore (i'm not published or caught this and that form hear and there) my views are worthless anyway. Perhaps I dont want my sponsor to know who I am and what I really think.

There are many reasons ron and I'm sorry, as you dont REALLY find my view valid because of a false name, that you want find them valid or reasonable.

dezza

Reaction score
When I started posting on this website I did it from my office computer and never had a problem.

But I did it out of working hours.

"The Hat" was created by Graham, not me.

But yes, many do tend to regard opinions from behind false names invalid.

---------- Post added at 04:33 ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 ----------

Ron has every post ever made by you been under the Ron Clay banner ?

Yes Mr White

:p

Reaction score
There is a need for pseudonyms for a number of members - either illicitly tapping away at work or whose jobs are such that revealing your true identity could become a pain (which I know is a reason for one of the mods using one),

Generally they are nicknames that have been acquired and treasured over the years....as mine has. In most cases, then, there is no reason why we can't have our "real names" on our profiles...mine is.

And after a time most of the regulars on here do know who lurks behind the mask...attend a few fish-ins you'll get to know the culprits.

Nice twitch though Ron...and you've got a bit of interest there!!

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Paul, I want to make the distinction between a false name and a nick name or pen name.

An example is The Monk, who has written both on websites and the angling press for many years. But every one knows he is Nick Melling. It was the same thing way back in the past with people such as "BB" (Denys Watkins-Pitchford) and even "Water Rail" (Richard Walker).

But of late, pseudonyms have become less popular. Certainly if you look at magazines such as Angling Times, Angler's Mail, Coarse Angler or Trout Fisherman, you will not find one false name.

---------- Post added at 04:50 ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 ----------

By the way, I'll ask the powers that be to take away "The Hat".

It's a bit "Old Hat" anyway.

Reaction score
"The hat"

That would be sad Ron...I am certain that the first time I came across you was in a book I had as a kid. It was something like "Hippo Book of Coarse Angling"...there are two photos I remember from the book ...one of the late Bill Keal with a fine carp...and one of you...with, I think, another carp(the contrast if I remember was between mirror and leather carp)....now I could be hallucinating...but you were wearing one of your trademark chapeau!

dezza

Reaction score
It might have been a Hornsea pike Paul, it would have been published about 1968 and the photographer was the great Roy Shaw.

Bill Keal was a great talent who was killed in a tragic motor accident. He was a professional journalist working, I think, for The Times. He did a weekly column for the Angler's Mail.

Reaction score
Tally ho m'lud - has Ms. Chipperfield finished re-educating young Matt yet?

Nice bait presentation here from Ron...and, whilst respecting his wishes, would be a shame to see the end of "The Hat" -part of his character.

Ron that's a very valid point about false names..that way led to trolls and burble whores...and the monitoring of ISP addresses...a pain for moderators and "normal" contributors and readers alike.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

It might have been a Hornsea pike Paul, it would have been published about 1968 and the photographer was the great Roy Shaw.

Bill Keal was a great talent who was killed in a tragic motor accident. He was a professional journalist working, I think, for The Times. He did a weekly column for the Angler's Mail.

You've jogged the old grey matter....I had originally written pike and then reflected and edited -should stick with the golden quiz league rule..your first thought is often right but you'll then spend 30 seconds talking yourself out of it!

I remember the Bill Keal column -it was a "Golden Age " of Angling weekly journalism - Bill Keal, Colin Willock, Wagstaffe, Clive Gammon and some bloke called Walker who twittered on a bit:p:wh

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Tally ho m'lud - has Ms. Chipperfield finished re-educating young Matt yet?

Nice bait presentation here from Ron...and, whilst respecting his wishes, would be a shame to see the end of "The Hat" -part of his character.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Posher

I've emailed Corker and know why he's not posting but that's for him to say.

So it's Ron "The HAT" Clay - I must have misheard because I thought it Was Ron "The [insert word that sounds a bit like HAT]" Clay:wh

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
As i'm still on the hook, on what is fast appearing to be a wind up thread I have one observation. How do I know Ron is Ron ? Alot of inconsisancies in my mind. A very right wing tory, much travelled - from ROTHERHAM !?!?!?!? If you'd said BNP from Maltby i'd have bought it........

I bet the real ron clay is a litte old labour voting ex-miner glued to an oxygen tank, who holidayed in skeggy and is totally unaware of this dreadful case of ID theft. :)

Bill Cox

Reaction score
Always used my real name on most siteds i use can,t see a reason not to really, but to be honest i'm not worried about those who do use nicknames or pseudonyms either its not really hurting me so let em get on and post i say.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
So it's Ron "The HAT" Clay - I must have misheard because I thought it Was Ron "The [insert word that sounds a bit like HAT]" Clay
It was edited by GM because of the Posting Rules.... :)

How do I know Ron is Ron ?
It is and it isn't. It's really the spirit of the late **** Walker using Ron's physical presence to type his responses through a keyboard. :)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
As i'm still on the hook, on what is fast appearing to be a wind up thread I have one observation. How do I know Ron is Ron ? Alot of inconsisancies in my mind. A very right wing tory, much travelled - from ROTHERHAM !?!?!?!? If you'd said BNP from Maltby i'd have bought it........

I bet the real ron clay is a litte old labour voting ex-miner glued to an oxygen tank, who holidayed in skeggy and is totally unaware of this dreadful case of ID theft. :)

Jimmy - I've met the real Ron Clay and he's just as he appear on FM - except he smells of cats - he's got 48 living with him in his 2 up 2 down terrace

dezza

Reaction score

OK, money where your mouth is!

£1,000.00 that I am not, and I am what I say I am.