Virgin Water

J

Jonathan Faro

Hi
How would you recomend targeting a carp which is unliklyto have seen a boilie in it's life. I know there are 3 carp in the local pond/lake. The lake gets fished quite a bit but by kids for chub and I don't think the carp have ever been seriosly targeted.

My theory is to use boilies with cheese paste round them. The logic being that they will learn to eat bolkies even if I don't catch them this time and if they fancy teh cheese or a passing chub does then I'll get a fish on the bank

Jonathan

S

Stewart Bloor

If the carp have never been seriously targeted don't bother complicating things. Keep it simple and then get more sophisticated if that doesn't work.

P

Paul Williams

I think you should use the pole with 18lb line and forget the clip on the reel!!!! sorry i couldn't resist it i'm in a pig mood tonight!!! i promise to get off now!!

A

andrew jackson

Jonathan you refer to this pond/lake as local. If it is very close to home I would throw a 1k bag of sweetcorn in twice a week, for a couple of months. Cheeper than boilies yet very effective. I did just this on a local pond, caught the biggest fish within an hour of casting out. Havn't fished the place since, well worth the effort.

R

Rob Brownfield

I agree with the *keep it simple* idea. I think I would spend a lot of time just watching the water. Are there ducks on it, if so, when people are feeding the ducks, watch for carp feeding below them on scrap bits of bread etc. You could possibly stalk them with float gear and bread flake. I most satifying method.

Luncheon meat is another good one, which carp seem to find irrisistable. I would also try trout pellet paste if the water is a bit murky. Carp just love it, and its instant.

As for boilies, well, there is no need to go to any elaborate ritural to introduce them to the carp. Believe me, they will eat them! Try either a smelly bait with something like Scopex, Strawberry or Pinapple for a short term campaign, or, if you really want to switch on the fish, use a good quality fishmeal based bait such as Big Fish Mix and use a well proven attractor combination. I would try and find out where the feeding areas are, then start to introduce a handful of boillies, then slowly up the amount. Do this for a few weeks, and then empty ther lake!!

Good luck!!

Ps. I found carp in a water up here in Scotland that had never been fished before. I had some Starmer GLM boillies in the back of the car, and decided to see what would happen. The carp were on them within 10 minutes! Carp are curious, they pick up anything!

S

Stewart Bloor

Rob, you're right about the boilie theory. I fished a water last year that I'm 99.9% has never seen a boilie in it's life. Yet I caught from the off. On that ocassion the reason I used boilies was to wade through some of the smaller fish. I have a respect for all fish, but if I can avoid being woken up every 5 minutes of a night session by a 2oz roach, I will do so...

J

Jonathan Faro

Cheers. I may try pre baiting but after this weekend I'm gonna be back at college and coming up to the a levels. Also it's almost the closed season and it's just a public pond. It is however very local like 5 minutes by bike. IO might give it a try tommorow but I'm going a chub hunting

Thanks everone and yes maybe I deserved the dig about line clips

Jon

P

Paul Williams

Jonathan your'e OK!! i'm young and foolish too!! Sedge, Rik, **ss off!! you Mr olddude thingys!!!!

C

Carp Angler

How did I get dragged into this?

On the lake side of things, I'd prebait heavily with hemp, corn and mashed bread.
Give it a week or two and they'd be crawling up the rod tips dude....

J

Jonathan Faro

I'm not 100% about prebaiting. Theres a severre rat problem from over feeding off ducks so if I feed the ducks the bread will be eatern adn then there will be more rats. If I start prebaiting this weekend I'll be able to get in an assault before the closed season which is a bonus.

See ya

Jon

David Preston

Reaction score
If the ducks get loads of bread, then you can be sure that the carp know all about eating bread! The duck feeders are doing your pre-baiting for you. Just fish a big lump of flake on the hook.

R

Rob Brownfield

David, I totally agree with u, thats been my experience on 3 lakes so far.