The Fishing Forecaster

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm interested in this. It's too easy to dismiss it as mumbo jumbo. Too many hunters and fishers swear by it for anyone to dismiss it lightly.

How about if all those who fill in the venue reports also make a comment on the times they did best and if it corresponded with the forecast for that day?

And for those who don't bother filling in the venue reports how about if we just keep an eye on the forecaster and the times we do or don't catch fish and report back here.

Could be an interesting trial.

The <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/editorial/editorial.asp?edsec=fishingforecaster&page=fishing%20forecaster&mod=fishing%20forecaster&modAdd=/default.asp?x=1>Fishing Forecaster</a>

S

Steve Booth

Gents,
If we had 2003 best moon phases perhaps some of us ,could try and add some credibility to the subject ,my feelings still lie with river levels,and atmospheric pressure for best results, went to a talk with Archie Braddock last week and he tryed to explain the subject,saying the best time was when the moon is at its highest point of its cycle,if that period is tied up with good river levels ,right swim ,maybe BINGO.
Chris Lyons from Hereford is some
expert on the subject . Regards Steve B.

G

Gerry Castles

Graham, are those five day forecasts available on an ongoing basis, or is this just a one-off for the next five days ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
They're here to stay on an on-going basis if they are well received by FM's visitors. They will probably be available only to members in the near future.

The forecasts are updated automatically every 24 hours.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I'm glad you asked that question Gerry. I honestly believe there is something this. Of course if your using the wrong bait or are nowhere near the fish then you just come back on here and say what a load of crap that solunar system is! But I think there is more to it than that. I'll test it tomorrow and report back here. I'll be at the lakeside by 6-6:30 and will be leaving around 5/6 in the evening. The graph shows a positive impact between 8 and 9am. I’ll let you know!

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I have been looking at these moon theories for quite a while and as far as I remember, STEVE, you can get 2003 moon phase charts I'll try to find the link for this but I think its something to do with an american navy website, the only problem then is applying a theory to this, I think as with all these things there is more than one theory though.

On this note I once compared the 'Moonstrike' peak times with 'fishbyte'(software) peaks and with the information I had regrding peak times (using the Navy chart), and all results were different, so who's right.
No disrespect, but they all claim good catches on their peak times (except myself) and bill as tried and tested.

Maybe if 'the' theory could be highlighted then many more of us using moonphase forecast could create more credebility on the matter.
Also seeing as this is a gravitational matter I imagine altitude may also help in pinpointing the perfect period.

(Timbo's Dictionary - 'Perfect period' - Somebody elses girlfriends )

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Sorry' I'll shut up after this one:

Graham, how about a research thread for subjects such as moonphases, weather, thermoclines, area effects, Alot of people have a lot of excellent theories and ideas on this site (Is'nt fishing about that ?).

P

peter webber

I went fishing wednesday afternoon and the fishing picked up at around 6.15pm and then tailed off a bit about 7pm. i came on here and saw this and the chart for the day said peek time was 6.30pm.

So maybe there is something in it?

I for one will be interested in trying this out in the future.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The moon's phase is shown as a little graphic on each of the charts.

S

Stuart Bullard

OK - so whats the moon up to today? I am doing a night so when do I keep alert!

I have to say I cant ever see myself planning fishing around this theory. Mainly because I cant be arsed, and secondly I am still trying to fathom things such as - a lead core pop up anti eject stiff sliding D rig......and thats before I have even baited the bloody thing.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The forecaster is quite simple Stu.

You take note of the time when it says you need to be awake, and then you either stay awake and see what happens, or say "**** it" and go to sleep.

J

john conway

I’ve always kept a log so noting the moon phases etc is no problem. I’ll include it on the Venue reports next time I fill one in. There’s only one way to prove this theory and that’s to give it an extended trial, if the data’s easily assessable then there’s no reason way the lads who fill in the Venue reports couldn’t include this as well. I’m pretty flexible re when I can go fishing, however, time is sometimes tight. To date I seem to be averaging just over one trip a week with a average fishing session of 7 to 8 hours. Any information that could reduce the blanks sounds OK to me. Some of you lads may be tackle tarts, I’m a data tart <g>

S

Stuart Bullard

I'll let the buzzers do the work Graham! I have to confess, I sort of lose interest when its dark..........but I am getting there.

S

Stuart Bullard

OK OK got it. So at 09:30pm tonight I'll start heaving them in, crash out about 11pm (after some celebration drinks and stuff).

I'll let you know if it works!

T

The Monk

Snakebite, good disguise Dave, really had me fooled there mate!