Conditions that affect fish

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Tim Birch said:

"How about a research thread for subjects such as moonphases, weather, thermoclines, area effects? A lot of people have a lot of excellent theories and ideas on this site."

So okay, here it is - discuss.

I'll start the ball rolling with the observation that, with water temperature at number 1, and wind speed and direction following, I reckon barometric pressure has the next greatest influence on how fish feed.

T

The Monk

barometric pressure is a very significant factor Graham, but I wonder how many people really understand its effect and indeed the impact it has on all freshwater eco fauna?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Monk, how about explaining it as best you can, in layman's terms?

I've said many times, on here and elsewhere, that fish know about a weather change long before we do, and that can only be due to them detecting a change in pressure.

S

Stuart Bullard

......this should be fun. Monk explaining something in laymans terms. Last time I didn't understand a thing he said!

I must admit I had thought it was a proven thing that fish detect pressure change, or it still just conjecture? I know I have seen Mr Attenborough talking about it once, but I cannot remember if it was fish.

Go on Monk, you can do it.

R

Richard Drayson

Other factors surely would include water clarity, rainfall and dissolved oxygen levels.

Interesting thread!

Dan Indiana

Reaction score
I was sat on the bank 3 weeks ago, dusk was drawing in, id had a good couple of tugs on the line, the wind was picking up and began to flap my line around, when i heard a rustling from the bushes behind me, it stopped, then after about 2 minutes a HUGE badger burst out the bush, dived into the pond and proceded to catch a fish, it climbed out (i was in shock and awe) and retreated to the bushes, myself ive never encountered anything like this in my 10 years or so of fishing, im not sure but does a badgers mating season have anything to do with how fish feed ?

Dan

M

Milo Bloom

Almost certainly. I only ever fish when the badgers in in rut.

M

Milo Bloom

That should be "are in rut" of course. I'd hate to sound foolish.

S

ste . .

don't be silly milo, you could never sound foolosh....

*snif* whats that smell?

Dan Indiana

Reaction score
this has puzzled me, and got me thing, ive searced on google for any links between badgers mating and fish, and low and behold, i found this:

"The Foxface is sometimes called the Badgerfish, but that name usually refers to Siganus virgatus, so the name Foxface is usually used in the trade. Some local fish stores may simply call them Yellow Rabbitfish as well. This fish reaches 10 inches in the wild, but 7.5 inches is much more common to see in captivity. The minimum size tank is 55 gallons. They are active fish, although easily frightened. They come out of the Pacific Ocean, although not overly popular near Hawaii. They are a very bright yellow color, with a black spot near the rear of them, and white and black on their head for contrast. A very pretty fish, and when the spines are erected, they are quite a show. A medium-sized specimen normally runs 25$ retail in the Eastern US."

so, the question i have is was the badger actually mating with the fish to create the above, surely the offspring would be sterile like a mule ? though, or was it simply feediong and should i avoid the banks when its badger feeding time ?

Dan

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Hotmail address, just joined up, probably a fleeting visit, hoping to get a bite. So here's a little twitch-bite if it keeps you happy.

S

Steve James

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'd have thought 'water' has a big part to play in conditions that affect fish....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Steve, water is an item that is a god-given, must-have. Not a condition.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Quite right John, sorry, Badgerbottombiter.

Some good 'uns on this morning.........

T

Terry Comerford

Nice to see our friends at bikemagic.
Its been so long since we 'spoke'.
Is the lycra in the wash Milo?