The Fens part three.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Another great read, and extremely thought provoking too. I'd love to have seen what sort of bags the big fen waters would have produced to the likes of Nuddy and Scothorne and their modern tackle.

Nice testimony to a great days fishing too, didn't she pull? I've rarely seen a big fish fight like it, and still she powered off when you released her. Pure magic!

If Chris offers you his company for a days fishing this season don't miss the opportunity! Not only an informed and illuminating bloke, but a great laugh too. The only downside is you're likely to join his library of wickedly, accurate impressions. (lol)

Regards Chris

D

Dave Hill

i remember those days well. i used to catch the train at wadsley bridge bloody hell all the trains were full.does anyone remember catching the coach from castlegate in sheffield was it jeffcocks. he would always ask my elder brother if i would sit on a fishing basket in the aisle just so he could get another angler on. those were the days you could leave your back door open all day and still have all your valuables intact.

F

Fred Bonney

Chris,Just had the opportunity to read this facinating article,brilliant stuff.
In my youth I remember the coach outings,but nothing like the scale from Sheffield,our trips were to the Thames and there may have been a hundred or so but thousands, never.
Come the new season, I'll be down there.

R

Ron Clay

A really excellent article Chris, utterly fascinating and as a born Sheffielder, I can only echo the sentiments so eloquently written.

I'll be down at Benwick on the fens from 14th June,

Anyone around are invited to join me in the "George" at Ramsey 40 foot from about 12-30 pm on the 15th.

B

Birds Nest

I so wish I could take that offer, alas I'm on a course 15-17th... how crud ?