where on rivers is open

B

Bob Watson

I recently viewed a site that told where you could fish on rivers in the closed season, Marinas etc. but can't for the life of me remember where I found it, it showed all the criteria required to fall into "fishable" water.
Has anyone come across it or any thing like it?

S

Stu Black

There was a feature in last weeks AT about it. Apparently, you cant fish a marina if its open to the river but if its a seperate channel ie behind an island or dug specifically , you can. You can fish lakes that are connected to the river too. But it did say check with the club or ownwer cos they might enforce the close season anyway.

P

Phil Hatton

Shame on you Bob, you should be on a muddy hole practicing

S

Stu Black

Bob, are you going to the NEC? they give you a copy at the AT stall as you walk in. I've got the copy I bought, and 2 copies they gave me, so if your not I'll send it to you

G

Gerry Castles

Forget what the AT says Bob, its not at all straightforward, particularly marinas. There is no single simple answer. Some waters with direct connections to rivers are regarded as 'stillwaters' some are not. I think a lot of it is down to historical precedent and whether your local EA chap got out of bed on the right side that morning. I am not joking, it's as haphazard as that.
I went through this nonsense last year and had something of a result on my local marina where the EA made a decision that part of the marina was in and part of the marina was out. Crazy, but I was grateful. Marinas are a particular problem since whether the EA is on your side or not, the final word is with the marina management. My marina is happy to accommodate anglers so long as there is no nuisance to other marina users and you MUST have a boat moored permanently in the marina from which you must fish.You can't just casually stroll in or motor in and start fishing, wherein lies another problem. Marinas are private places and for security reasons don't usually accept casual fishermen. Shepperton Marina connected to the Thames has a 'no fishing under any circumstances' rule even if you are a boat owner, however connected to the marina are the RMC pits where it's fishing business as usual. There is a complete lack of clarity or guidelines as to the legal position of any so-called private water which is accessible from the river. The owners of the properties tend by and large, to discourage casual boat visitors, but someone in the British Waterways hierachy once told me that technically they cant stop you going into the marina in your boat and fishing (assuming no close season of course)if you don't touch the sides or bottom ie don't moor up to the jetty or don't plant an anchor. Whether thats true or not nobody seems to know.
I think this whole issue is kept fluid by the authorities so they can make pretty much any decision they like about any given set of circumstances. Yet another good reason to dump the close season.

B

Bob Watson

Cheers for that lads,

The A.T. is where I saw the article...DOH!!

Thanks for the offer anyway Stu.

Was hoping to get to NEC yesterday to meet some of you but had to cry off at the last minute.

Phil, just gonna have a drive down Woodlands now, was gonna go to Boroughbridge Marina (which is fishable on day ticket to anglers without a boat Gerry, must be an exception) but made the silly mistake of mentioning dinner out to our lass DOH...... again.

So not fishing, just bank running today. I'll post any changes since your visit Phil.

D

David Will

The bits they were referring to were on the Trent and appear to be the specifically dug
fish refuges.These would be controlled by the EA.