help with bream

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I fish a gravel pit which I know holds 40-60 (possibly more) large Bream all double figure mark probably upto 13-14lbs. A few have come out at that size but never more than 1 or 2 at a time. I know thw fish are there as I first saw them spawning 11 years ago this May and as a regular visitor to the pits, I spent as much time bank walking and chatting to other anglers, I know of know of no fish losses in that period. The pit is rectangular in shape about 120yds x150yds. The depth is fairly regular and between 18/20ft deep and silt covered very little weed. I have found some gravel bars /areas with the marker float not more than 3/4 table top sizes in area where the water shallows to 14/15 feet.You come off gravel at approx 16ft onto silt and then depths of 18/20feet. There is a shallow spawning area behind some islannds in a bay but this area is not really fishable. On the other 3 banks it shelves off very very quickly to about 15ft 11/2 to 2 rod lengths out with a silty bottom.The fish vary rarely show themselves and as such it is not easy to define any patrol routes, I've spent many hours with binoculars watching the water but have only seen bream topping once in any number about 8 years ago. I am now determined to have a few out and would really appreciate any help or ideas, rigs, baits and baiting up, best areas to attack. Can any one help?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Richard, Before I can try to help can you tell me, is the pit carp fished, and if so, how heavily? Are there other species present and what are the approximate stock levels?

Where you saw those bream roll 8 years ago will be as good a place as any to start. Unless there has been a drastic change in the water since then they won't have moved far, if at all. Each successive generation of bream will be inclined to use the same feeding routes for year after year.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Not Carp fished at all Graham and few if any Carp in their, never heard of one coming out. Lots of Roach, they have been out in the past to over 2lbs, but I've not heard of any coming out lately. Tench that I know of to 8lbs, the stock level I don't know but most times people have fished for them in the summer months they have caught 1 or 2 either tight in the margin on the float or at range on the method. Also Pike, a friend had 2 out this weekend float fishing close in for Roach, took the fish within infeet of the bank, one 14lbs 2 oz the other 10lbs. Approx 8 yrs ago 3 different 20's came out, best I've heard of in recent years 17lb. The pit is quite lightly fished 4 people at most odd weekends, midweek hardly sees an angler

L

Les Clark

Hi Richard,as you say its lightly fished?
I would go for a two or three day stint,pile in a lot of groundbait the first night,keep it topped up and see what happens,if the lake is not fished that much not a lot going in to hold them in one spot?.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Richard, if there isn't a problem with nuisance fish then I'd go for a particle approach, feeding loads of maggot, caster, trout pellet, stewed wheat (in mollasses) and sweetcorn, preferably scattered over a fairly wide area from a boat, if you've got access to one. If not, then spod them out or use a baitboat. You can put a light covering of fine groundbait down first just to provide some initial attraction.

If it isn't carp fished much at all then the bream won't be addicted to boilies, so I'd use maggot, caster and/or sweetcorn hookbaits. A big lobworm and bread flake is well worth trying as well, and may well turn out to be the best bait.

A good dose of the particles for a week or more before fishing will also be an excellent idea.

Fish the features that have most character, closest to where you saw them roll. And remember, invariably (although there are a few exceptions) they feed at least 30 yds from the margins.

A fixed paternoster rig with a 3ft hooklength and 6in bomb link, 6lb hooklength to a 14's for maggot and caster, a 10's for corn, and an 8's for lob and bread.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Thanks Graham & Les, time will be an issue now as I'm sort of back to work, or will be very shortly. However I only live 2 miles from the pits so should be able to sort something out. The good news is I've just bought 25Kgs of wheat and 20Kgs of trout pellets. What groundbait would you suggest mainly brown crumb with some white to bind it. How about hemp as a particle I have 1/2 a sack of that left. Any ideas as to the best place to purchase mollasses in bulk reasonably. How would you prepare stwed wheat in mollasses. Stewed wheat is no problem but do you put the molasses in the water to stew the wheat or addit diluted or neat after stewing to coat it? Mainline approx 8lb using the lightest bobbins I can get away with in conjunction with bite alarms? Straight bomb or cage feeder to keep the groundbait topped up swapping to straight lead if I hit fish? Would you use dead or live maggots Graham?

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I also have small quantities of Maples, Tares and Haith's particle mix. How would you prepare the wheat Graham

S

Stu Black

TRy and find a farm feed suppliers in your yellow pages, my local one does a 5 litre tub of molasses for under a fiver. If you struggle I'll bring some to Selby for you

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I think I can help here Richard, but need just a bit more info mate.
1. Where is it?
2. How do I get a permit?
3. Can you give a map of how to get there?

:0)

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Murray season ticket only ?175 for night fishing ticket, ?125 for day only. (However I can take a guest for a fiver a trip)
It's in South Norfolk nr Attleborough.
If you're serious e mail me.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Richard, add the mollasses to the cold water first and then soak the wheat in it for 24 hours before stewing in the normal way. You can't use too much mollasses, but a ratio of about 80% water 20% mollasses will be close enough.

Use a mix of dead and live maggots, live squatts and pinkies. And plenty of caster.

8lb line is okay, but you might have to go down to a 4lb hooklength if they're being finicky when using non-carp methods.

You're going to have to experiment regarding bobbin weights. Sometimes they like some resistance, sometimes they don't. Start with the least you can get away with.

No problem using bite alarms. Groundbait feeder is okay to keep the swim topped up, but always be prepared to send a bait in on a light bomb if it looks like they're easily spooked.

Targeting big bream on the water you've described means you're about to enter a different type of fishing Richard, on a water where the 'standard method' (bolt-rig) and 'standard bait' (boilie) may not have got a grip just yet.

It's going to involve a lot of thinking and a lot of experimenting with all kinds of things.

How I envy you. Make the most of it while you can.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Richard thats good of you, but I wouldn't dream of barging in like that mate, it was just tongue in cheek.

What Graham is saying is spot on and I would also use Artificial Corn on a hair rig, if they are prepared to pick it up you get a cracking hook hold and unmissable takes, it doesn't work on all waters for some reason, but if it does it is a big bonus mate cos you can get away with heavier hooks and links.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Murray if you use artificial corn on a hair rig 2 questions.
1) Do you use braid or nylon line and if nylon does the knotless knot work?
2) If you use braid can you make a suitable paternoster rig (tangle free) by using a 4 turn water knot to join thr braid hooklength to the main line.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Collected my mollasses this pm from a local farm feed shop, I say local and I mean local 11/2 miles down the road. Got talking to the owner and he ended up giving me a 20kg sack of hemp. He will certainly have further business from me he also quoted ?5 for 25 kg sack of wheat, much cheaper than the big pet stores and as for a lot of tackle shops , well!

D

Dave Rothery

ask him about maize......ewe nuts......trout pellets(maybe)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that before Richard sent this up on here he called me to ask what was the best way to get the best results on bream fishing. I was wrong to say that Mr. 'X' record holder himself 'Warren Gaunt' would jump on this immediately.

Come on Wol...or have you gone toooo far over in to the deadly pusuit of carp???