So it’s the EA’s job to tackle water pollution Right?

The bad one

Reaction score
It seems that that’s not the full story, but a misleading they want us to believe
I’ve had cause of late to find out through a pollution incident that this is the case.

The EA categorise pollution incidents into categories and have done for sometime …1, 2 and 3
How an incident gets into a category seems to depend on how many fish are killed, press interest/coverage and so on. The size of river and other important factors don’t automatically put into any category.

Responses are as followed
Cat 1 means they’ll respond with in an hour or so dependant on time of day.
Cat 2 means they attend at some point
Cat 3 they ignore.

Now for me they have never told us that they will ignore Cat 3s, but what would be classed as this?
Well I know for a fact that someone’s domestic cesspit overflowing and running into a ditch that feeds into a Stillwater but doesn’t kill any fish would be categorised as a Cat 3 incident and ignored by the EA.

Have I/we missed something here, but is that not “pollution" entering a watercourse?”
And the responsibility of the EA to police and take action against?

What do you think?

Is it acceptable that they do nothing?
Is it a scandal that should be exposed ?
Have we been and are still being mislead?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
There should in my own opinion be catagories as in response Categories / Criteria.

That may well be a 1, 2, 3 category listing.

What doesn't make sense is to have a category 3 to tell you to do nothing, you just don't have a category for the "Do Nothing" to happen, as it will occur Naturally.

It is not acceptable that they do nothing, they should at the minimum educate these people not to do it again.

Scandalous to be exposed for doing nothing ? how can that be they have done nothing and therefore should be exposed.

I think from a Government point of view, we will always be mislead, in the wrds of "Metallica" Sad but True.

Patrick Leigh 2

Reaction score
"Is it acceptable that they do nothing?"
Is it a scandal that should be exposed ?

Have we been and are still being mislead?

No, not acceptable at all they are THE ENVIRONMENT AGENCY who have a duty and care for the ENVIRONMENT.

Yes, the AT and whoever should expose the issue.

Daily on many things that revolve around our love of angling and the environment. However, as with another hot topic WE don't seem to shout loud enough to be heard! and whilst they fill a businessmans life with more redtape about WEEE waste and pointless letters and calls when said business has been registered since the beginning of the WEEEE scheme it does make one wonder just what the hell the majority within the organisation get up to each working day.. No doubt spend more time on H&S and form filling than actually working on environmental issues.

They do some good as has been seen nationally now and then and everyone will have good and bad stories, BUT I would still say 5/10 and must try harder.

Without wanting to go off the original subject too much, did anybody else hear how much it cost to get a British Team at the Winter Olympics.. £60 million... This is just another example of bad funding and bad direction of funding in the UK. Then again, that is only 3.7% of the total required for a summer olympics team...

How much of that is Sport Englands Money? How much more should angling and the AT get. Do we get all licence revenue back into angling? So many questions, so few answers... and those we get, we don't offer like to hear..

rant over....

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Do the sums Patrick.

The EA have announced had one point five million freshwater license buyers last year. Assuming they get a similar number of sales this year at, let's say £27 average, that works out to 40 million quid. That's for just one year.

Who thinks they get value for money?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Assuming they get a similar number of sales this year at, let's say £27 average, that works out to 40 million quid.
It's not that much, Geoff. Only about £26m so I last heard. You have OAPs, Juniors, and a lot of week and day licences in that.

If that's the story up NW area, Phil, then it needs addressing badly. Much of the pollutions down this way ARE attended to, esp on the Thames, but I've known them turn up if someone reports anything.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Greg's done a bit in today's Angling Times.

The EA's "total fisheries budget 2008/9 was £33.6m of which £23.4 came from anglers......................."
If you're really interested enough, it's worth going out and getting a copy as it shows how it's spent.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The EA's "total fisheries budget 2008/9 was £33.6m of which £23.4 came from anglers......................."
If you're really interested enough, it's worth going out and getting a copy as it shows how it's spent.

My £26m probably included grent in aid, it comes from some time ago, l'm not surprised that it's increased a bit now.

Accountability! That's what it's about, Fred. We should see it for road tax too, and NI payments. (some hope)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The EA used to publish all this stuff on their website but I can't find it anymore. Maybe I'll get that free copy from Greg after all :)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've only ever been tugged for my E.A license twice in 37 years!
Once on a com' and once on a river (by a car park!).

For the first time EVER I am considering not buying a license as a protest.

Wrong or Right I don't know? How many others feel like me?

Pollution, predators(alien), poachers, what are the E.A really doing about it?

We all moan about the decline of our rivers, so why is the Itchen so different? It's stuffed with fish.

It's managed! They look after it themselves, no poachers and no alien predators and if there were any signs of pollution the E.A would be there in a flash, because of the salmon and trout!

The E.A license is just like Poll Tax, we have no choice if we want to fish!

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Actually no. My roads a right old state and I pay PLENTY in terms of road tax and fuel tax. I havent been asked to show my driving licence in 12 years and I dont have a problem with that - and I'm in the car much more than I'm fishing, and I'm sure thats the same as many.

Now heres the real problem. Ask your next door neighbour if he and his fellow non-angling tax payers mind stumping up the balance - I bet he's not keen. Frankly I'm staggered that we get full amount of licences back in the EA, although it obviously needs to be better spent. But isnt that the case of most government agencies ?? Not paying your rod licence makes you a licence dodger and we have enough of those already.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jimmy, I got an attatchment to earnings when I refused to pay the poll tax......

It stinks! It just aint fair!

I'd happily add the £27 to my A.T membership if they could oust the E.A and it's licence scam.....

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Dont be surprised if the AT ended up taking some of the EAs remit (although possibly not budget) in the coming years - the government has costs to cut, no matter who wins in the summer.

I dont like paying for my licence either - especially when you have a good idea the bloke next to you hasnt paid for his.

Patrick Leigh 2

Reaction score
Do the sums Patrick.

The EA have announced had one point five million freshwater license buyers last year. Assuming they get a similar number of sales this year at, let's say £27 average, that works out to 40 million quid. That's for just one year.

Who thinks they get value for money?

I did the sums Geoff.. depressing isn't it?

So 23.4 million from anglers in a total budget of 33.6 million to manage the UK's fisheries.. fish stocks, water quality, access, coaching, enforcement etc.. all in one year and 60million to send 51 people to Canada for 17 days!

27% of the budget is spent on Increasing angling participation and providing coaching .... surely this should be sourced from Sport England?

They missed something from their list of outgoings though I note... 65% of the budget wasted due to bad management and inefficiency brought about by red tape and a ton of fluffy liberal pandering to adhere to!

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Personally i dont give a toss,how much money is generated through rod licences(and you must live in a different country Steve as ive been asked at least 25-30 times for my licence on all manner of venues)as,as far as im concerned the government should be paying out to help environmental disasters no matter how small,or large.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Alan,

I also have not been asked for my Rod License for Years, i have not seen an EA Officer on the banks of fisheries i frequent for Years.

r1paul

Reaction score
I have been asked about ten times in the past ten years , so plenty down here .
Steve , don`t be a mug mate , not paying your licence out of protest won`t make the slightest difference but may land you with a £2500 fine:eek: .