spool packing

jason finney

Reaction score
can someone tell me what is the best matrial to use to pack out your spool before putting your main line on.

J

Jim Hinchley

I prefer ptfe tape over old line as there's no adhesive to get anywhere near the spool.

R

Robert Draper

I like to pack the spool out with old line or nylon baler twine and then use a band cut from an old inner tube over the top. On smaller sized reels I use PTFE tape or a long strip cut from a thick plastic shopping bag to stop bedding in.

R

Robert Draper

Forgot to say, you can use anything as long as it is waterproof (does not expand when wet) and lays evenly (smallish diameter or flattens when wound). The layer over the top is to prevent the new line bedding into the backing.

You probably knew that but it might help someone else.

jason finney

Reaction score
can someone tell me what is the best type of knot to use on elastic for your pole.

T

Tim Richardson

cut the crusts off then wizz one slice at a time in food processor

J

James Roberts

Is it possible to float fish high up in the water in a strong breeze and not wind up half way down the lake

M

Mark Davies 3

Can someone please tell me what do you give maggots to keep them alive.

W

Wolfman Woody

Once maggots are in the shop they have stopped feeding. Cold and darkness is all they want to keep them going for a few days.

Best knot for elastics is a simply cross-over knot pulled very tightly as if you are forming a loop. You can double it if you like at the bung end.

As soon as you cast sink the line. Washing-up liquid is good to help sink the line or a prorietory product like X-ink from fly fishing shops. It'll slow it down a bit at least.

J

jason fisher

don't bother cutting the crusts off my liquidised bread just get bread stuff it in food processor whizz till i get the particle size i want.
take to river dampen with river water throw in catch fish.

M

Mark Davies 3

can you feeder fish with just maggots?
Or do you have use something else to go with it. I don't want to use shop bought groundbait.
What ground baits can you use what you can find in the kitchen or in supermarkets.
Thanks.

J

jason fisher

to use just maggots use a block end feeder.
ask in your local atckle shop they'll show you one.

or for an open end plug the ends with bread based groundbait

M

Mr F

Will it be harder to fish for perch, gudgeon or crucian carp while it is raining or when it has just stopped raining.
Also, what groundbaits are good for these fish and what is the best method to fish for them.

J

jason fisher

best bait for perch and gudgeon has to be worms.
the bigger the perch the bigger the worm or if you can catch bleak use them for very big perch.
one way i have caught perch is to find small fry then flick in a table tennis ball sized liquidised bread ball with a lobworm legered on the bottom, the fry eat the bread the perch chase the fry find a big juicy lobworm then pull your rod in.
my biggest perch have all been caught on worm.
never caught enough crucians to comment.

M

Mr F

Does anyone know any good venues in Co Durham. Species and baits to use for them would be greatly apprieciated.
Mr F.