JW Avon Quiver

C

Chris Bishop

Not the sort of rod I'd ever probably use but I've just got one as a birthday present for someone and I'm seriously impressed with the workmanship and versatility with all the different tips, dolly butt etc.

C

Chris Bishop

Tempted to get another one, change the rings on it and use it for trotting livies for zander in the summer.

Half envy the bloke who's getting it for a present now. Maybe I'll slice it up and get him something else...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Richard, I have had my JW Avons for many years now.

The only problem I have had is that the quiver top on one has a slight split, but still usable.

Last season I bought a pair of Bob James Avons that cost considerably more than today's JW's, and yet, I still use the the JW's on occasion.

Great rods, sensibly priced and built to last, and last.

S

Shrek

I remember watching one of the many Go Fishing programs and JW showed you how to put a new quiver tip onto one of his rods. He stood on it on purpose to snap it, then took it back to a incredibly well stocked tackle room and popped a new one one, all in the space of 10 minutes !!!!!!!!

I've also got one of these rods and like it very much, even though I've not caught anything with it yet.

D

Dave Slater

I have a pair of old JW Avon Quivers. I still use them sometimes and they are good rods. A couple of friends have the new type with the dolly butt and different tips. These modifications make the rod very versatile and the ideal rod for a beginner. I think they probably represent the best value in rods.

C

Chris Bishop

The rod's wicked. I'm no multi-species man
but it seems incredibly versatile and it's going to a died-in-the-wool John Wilson fan.

I phoned around some couriers today to find someone to send it to the birthday boy. The first one I rang quoted me ?70 (!), I eventually found one that would deliver a rod for ?11.

J

Jack Pike

Hi Chris I bought the wife one several years ago I tend to use it more that her mainly for tenching they are brill for getting old paddle fin out of the weed beds

M

Mark Birchall

I recently purchased one and have used it a couple of times now and i agree its good value for money and i very happy with it.

J

Jack Pike

I,ve just seen the new version today I gonna have to get one

S

Stu Black

Chris, its my birthday today and the rod's not turned up yet.

P

Phil Hackett

I bought one of the new 11-13ft versions before Christmas for fishing on the Ribble for chub and barbel. Having had both fish on the rod over the rest of the winter, I have to say, I'm seriously impressed with it. The test curve is 1.4lb and of a fastish taper. Making it tippy (avon top) in the top 18 inches, which is great for seeing bites on the rod end. I've used it at both lengths 11ft 2 piece and 13 ft with the dolly section when the river is carrying a lot of water and extra height is needed to keep as much line as possible off it.

I've also seriously overloaded it using feeders when full, of up to 5 oz, and cast them 40 plus yards without any fear of damaging the rod. Granted, the casts have been slow through casts and not snappy punchy casts, as that would be, I fear, a cast to far for 1.4 test rod. I've also used the heavy feeder tip as well, which in my opinion actually beefs up the rod slightly over the avon top.

I've not used any of the softer tips as yet, nor have I used it for float fishing but I will get round to it in the not to distant future.

I have found IMO two minor criticisms of the rod only, the first being, the rod feels top heavy at 13 ft when casting, even with a large baitrunner type real attached. Where as, at 11ft it’s perfectly balanced.

The second is the avon top has no threaded screw in end ring which could take a quiver tip if needed. This is important to me as I have starlight adaptors that I screw in them, which makes them stand vertical to the rod, unlike the whipped silicon tubes you see many anglers using that are at an angle and are permanent fixture to the rod. Such permanent fixtures I suspect would cause problems if you wished to float fish with the rod, due to the whippy nature of the top 18 inches causing the line to go over the tube and probably creating tangles.

However, for me even the minor omission (threaded end ring) is not insurmountable and is easily overcome for ?2 and a bit of superglue.

All in all, I would highly recommend this rod to anybody who is looking for a rod in this price range, as it is about the best you can get and has perhaps the most versatility I’ve seen in a good quality rod ever.

And that is praise in deed coming from a total Harrison devotee.

G

goff dyer

I ALSO WAS GIVEN ONE OF THESE RODS AS A PRESENT LAST YEAR, AND I HAVE FOUND IT EXTREMELY VERSATILE FROM SKIMMER FISHING ON THE FEEDER IN A DEEP (30FT) DOCK. TO BARBEL FISHING ON THE TAFF AND THE WYE AN EXCELLENT BIT OF KIT.

B

Barry Kneller

Chris, instead of re-ringing a JW avon why not take a look at the FM concept rod - if it fits the bill I'm sure that Harrisons would build you one with guides to your spec.

P

Paul Christie

Chris
Are the starlet holders that enterprise do, no good? They fit on like the whipped silicon tubes, but are attatchable and detachable at any time, in a matter of seconds?

B

Birds Nest

I've been using the starlight adapters on my JW Avons this season... they are a damn good invention..

P

Phil Hackett

Paul
Was this a question for me and not Chris?

"Chris
Are the starlet holders that enterprise do, no good? They fit on like the whipped silicon tubes, but are attatchable and detachable at any time, in a matter of seconds?"

If so my answer is I've never used one but I have used the silicon permanent angled fitting. I find the angle of these less visible than the vertical pointing fittings I use.

Some of the swims I fish on the Ribble eddy back on themselves making the tip go straight as the eddy ebbs and flows. Because of this you have to keep putting a bend in the rod tip to keep good visual sighting (Eyes not as good as they were. Something to do with age me thinks!) I suspect that a similar problem may occur with the ones you reference.

Where as with my vertical fitting you don’t, as it’s always there in your face. The fitting I use I’ve been using for over 25 years and when I designed them I was using betalights, as starlites hadn’t been invented.
That’s why the illustrious editor of this site calls me Mr Gadget! If it isn’t on the market I’ll make it.
But thinking about it now???? In those days I could tie a hook on in moonlight. Now I can’t bloody see the hook and line in torchlight without my dammed glasses.

I just might write a piece with some drawings about how to make these, as they are quite simple. Tackle manufactures please not another idea you can rip off!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Phil,
yes please do write one, I was thinking of getting the ones by Enterprise tackle described by Paul but I'd give making them a go if it's easy enough, the only thing that's put me off using one before was the thought of the line getting looped over on the cast and causing a broken tip.