RIVER DON....SHEFFIELD

Mark Hides

Reaction score
Ok....don't laugh !!!!

It's been widely reported that Brown Trout have been making coarse fishing a nightmare at Owlerton in Sheffield.
I am thinking of going down there and dabbling this weekend.........anyone got any advice or cautions ???

R

Ron Clay

I'm not laughing Mark.

The Don has lots of brown trout in it, right down to Doncaster! I caught 5 lovely brownies on casters, about a pound each, whilst roach fishing 2 years ago near Mexborough.

I've just heard that a 13 lb barbel has been taken from the Don near Kilnhurst in the last few days of the season.

I would love to believe it!

Mark Hides

Reaction score
Well.......we fished the Don at Hillsborough on Saturday, casting was not too easy (we had to whip sideways rather than overhead) but we caught an absolutely wonderful 7 inch brown ona size 16 black midge........ pure poetry !

We found various flow rates from a slow meander through to true rapids where 35 yards of line disappeared in about 30 seconds !

The fishing is hard but in places the scenery is very nice, making up for lack of takes.....Just what the doctor ordered !

R

Ron Clay

Yes Mark, and it's surprising how many southerners think that Sheffield is grim, ugly, bleak and polluted.

P

Phil Heaton

Are the Don and Dearne really classed as trout waters by the E.A......I sincerely hope so. Last closed season a friend of mine was sent packing off the Dearne by an E.A. official, he was not utterly convinced the official knew what he was talking about, at the same time there was no mention of any possible prosecution etc.

Mark Hides

Reaction score
Well......i could find nothing at the ea site and I am willing to argue that if I am using a bloody great fly rod in an area that the Angling Star has highlighted as trout water........the bailiff can go right up the bamk and.............(CENSORED) :)