Rod Blanks

B

Barry Kneller

Does anyone know of a dealer (preferably on-line) that still stocks rod blanks? Just taken up fly fishing & can't afford a real good rod so I thought I'd pick up some half decent blanks & build one. It's a number of years since I've thought it worthwhile to build my own rod & I can't believe that all the dealers that used to sell rod buiding kit just don't stock that stuff any more. Plenty of custom rod builders prepared to build you a custom job at a vast price but none of 'em willing to sell you the blanks! Failing that, anyone got a mid range 9' #7 rod for sale?

D

David Will

You order through your local shop or if in difficulty go through Harrison direct.

B

Barry Kneller

I've just spoken to someone about Harrison blanks - he was recommended to me by another FM member. He's expecting some ore fly blanks in the next couple of weeks. Also said he'll put a kit of other parts together for me. No price yet but sounds promising.

G

Gerry Castles

Barry I have four piece Harrison 8 and 10 weight fly rods. You can try and break one at SWP on the 20th if you fancy. My two 9ft trolling rods are also four piece Harrison blanks. Got all four via Penge Angling.
i would describe them all as slightly soft but very forgiving blanks, Its' difficult to miss-cast with them and for all but distance casting and the dead flash stuff when I'm trying to impress Peter they are still first choice.

B

Barry Kneller

I probably couldn't break one but don't make the same offer to the big fella, I think between them Trev & Harold (or was it Ian?)managed to break 3 #12 Masterline Pike fly rods. Mind you, the fly Trev was using must have weighed about 4oz, he could cast it with a bait caster!
Wasn't there some discussion on the pred list about it being very useful as a mud weight?

B

Barry Kneller

'is that a yes or no?'

Trevs Pike fly as a mud weight - yes

Would I like to (try)to break one of your rods - yes please.

Have I missed any other possibilities?

BTW just ordered a Harrison 9' #6-7 - not the Ballista but the standard blank which is a bit softer. Also ordered a set of tiN snakes - all the other bits I've got already. Can't wait to get it started!

PS. Got your boat back in the water yet?

G

Gerry Castles

No, but don't tell Trevor, he and Josie are on it on Sunday. Relaunch ansd final photos on Saturday.