midlands rivers

newbieneil

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the water levels are like on either the arrow,avon or severn around worcester/warwickshire? only im hoping to get a few hours tommorow fishing for chub and/or barbel ,im gonna try the arrow wixford first(fish inn stretch),ive never fished it before but from the pictures ive seen it looks like a nice bit of river,other than that im gonna try the avon somewhere-maybe harvington or the severn at holt fleet,any other recommendations for a serial blanker would be much appreciated also!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
The Avon is 'perfect' but I'm at the top end of it - no sure about lower down. Here it is fining down, carrying about an extra six inches still..... but looking that 'loverly' greenish colour - if you know what I mean?

jcp01

Reaction score
Here's a tip for the Avon at Harvington ~

Try any bait but never forget to take sweetcorn with you.

This bait has saved the day for me more than once there. I don't know why but the Avon at this place either fishes well or it doesn't at all, if you know what I mean. Last time I went, a friend and I were the only people catching out of a total of twelve anglers on the bank - we had a steady catch of bream on corn when nobody else could buy a bite on other baits. Things were so desperate that day that one angler waded right across the river to trot maggots down to a large shoal of chub that he couldn't actually see but a bystander standing on the top of the wall outside the Fish and Anchor pub could. He was being directed from above and still the float and bait was passing straight through the shoal without a sniff!

Time before that I hooked a couple of barbel, lost one and landed a nine pounder, both on corn. Once again nobody else was getting a touch on pellets, boilies or meat...

newbieneil

Reaction score
cheers rufus...im trying to think if i tried sweetcorn last time i fished harvington?...i usually take every bait u can think off when i go there to maximise my chances but usually to no avail!...only ever had a small barbel of about a pound from the wier further upstream(turn left instead of straight down to the island pegs)...ive only ever caught perch from the island pegs(fishing worm)-no bites off anything else,my mate had a nice chub last time from the lower wier opposite the pub that day there were 2 blokes from london who had fished it all week and only had a few small chub between them!

In the end anyway i fished the arrow at the arrow mill hotel...first off on the main river without a bite for 3 hours until an old bloke(bailiff) came down and politely told me i was on a private stretch belongin to the m&b club! and so i spent an hour on the part which runs off and under the hotel which is basically a lake and managed a dace and a small roach on the waggler....apparently the hotel has a stretch on the actuall river itself but you have to cross over the top off the wier or walk around and i didnt have the right footwear to to do the that adn couldnt be bothered to walk around!...maybe next time....role on the start of the new season!