Insurance Claim/Tackle suppliers

S

Shrek

I've been victim to thieves who overnight took all my rods from the shed and a few other items. Luckily all other tackle was in a different place (i.e. reels). They unscrewed the hinges to gain access as I hadn't bolted them in place !!! I'm not after sympathy, just some info.

Was wondering if anyone has had their replacement tackle supplied by Bennets of Sheffield? If so, what was the response time from them?

Reason being, I am insured with Direct Line who didn't quibble about the claim and we already have new mountain bikes being delivered on Thursday from their appointed supplier (Only a 2 day turnaround).

Haven't heard anything from the BOS yet though so was asking the question.

I've trawled the threads and seen a couple of bad reports about the supplier, but just wondered if they had changed in 2 years.

Thanks chaps.

L

Les Clark

A chap at work had all his tackle nicked from his garage,his insurance,asked for bennets,he had no probleme,even as they charge top doller.

G

Gerry Castles

I've had nets and other gear from BOS, no complaints with prices or quality, however delivery times could definitely be improved

S

Stuart Johnson

Try Fosters of Birmingham. They do a lot of insurance replacement work.

M

Mark Birchall

Guys.

I once saw a SHED ALARM on the web, I don't think it was that expensive to be honest.
Sadly i appreciate that does not help you now but it maybe something to think of for the future.

S

Shrek

Stuart, I'd love to be able to try Fosters or any of the other more reputable Mail Order Firms, but Bennetts is the appointed dealer that Direct Line use.

Still haven't called me yet, hopefully it will be today.

D

Dave Rothery

they only use bennets as they give them a discount!
you are perfectly within your rights to ask to use a local dealer. tell them of your problems with bennets, moan and whinge, and they'll probably send them a cheque

S

Shrek

I did when they first said it would be BoS and was told that they can only use their appointed dealers. Shame as, like most people, I think my local tackle shop if the most helpful.

G

Gerry Castles

Adrian, if your insurance company have supplied BOS with an accurate list of what needs replacing and more importantly, what they propose to replace it with, then it's a fair bet that BOS will not have it all 'from stock' and will have to order items in from their supplier first. If you want stuff quickly then you have to accept what the shop has on its shelves at the time of the order. Thats the most likely reason for the delay. That situation will apply to almost every shop that you walk into. It could have been worse, at least it's the close season. You might find it useful to ring BOS and get an approximate delivery time and ask whether they can immediately deliver the stuff that they do have in stock. Direct Line won't be interested in getting directly involved.

B

Birds Nest

Yup, you don't need to use their dealer. When my flat got done (they left all my fishing kit) the insurers wanted to use Dixons to replace my Hifi TV etc.. I won't buy from them on principle.. So they send a wacking fat cheque instead..

S

Shrek

BoS have written to me asking to email or fax across a complete and detailed list of all items that have been stolen.
In the process of putting this together and am surprised at the cost of everything that went.

Thanks for the advice Gerry, I will do that as I'm unsure of what other information they need on the email so I need to clarify that too.

R

Richard Drayson

Sorry to hear about the theft of your fishing gear Adrian. The trouble, I suspect, will be trying to replace stuff that you can't buy anymore or special one-off bits of kit that some of us make up for certain situations.

Did the police take fingerprints and do they expect to catch the thief or theives?

I hope it doesn't end up being yet another unsolved crime. We all hear about police resources (money) being stretched etc, but quite frankly, I think that this can be used as an excuse sometimes.

We all pay our dues and we should expect the police to detect and apprehend the increasing number of theiving scum on our streets and living in our towns/cities.

It is their duty to protect us and our property isn't it?

S

Shrek

The police never came round Richard, they just took the details over the phone and gave me a crime number.

The good thing is that it was only my rods, brollie, banksticks etc and some terminal tackle that was nicked. All my reels and other equipment was in a store in a different part of the garden. Suffice to say, it is no longer in the store but in the house.

BoS have now acknowledged that they have received my list of nicked tackle and will do their utmost to deal with this in the speediest of manners.

How should I interpret this then?

The thing that got me was, when I spoke to BoS say said that they would value my list and provide with a list of replacements or an amount of money comparable to the list price items of the tackle I'd had stolen. I then have the choice of accepting their suggested replacements or spending the money with them on goods of my choice. The drawback is, I'm not allowed to buy anything that is reduced, I can only by things at List Price !!!! Gutted at this as I wanted a Leeda Blue Diamond Spliced Tip Rod !!!!

I'll let you know how the saga unfolds.

P

Phil Heaton

Don't worry about the cost as they will value your stolen gear at full recomended retail price, which I doubt is what you paid for it anyway.
I am sure from my own experience that you will be able to get all that you may require and still have a bit of change, which I took in feeders, hooks etc.

S

Stuart Johnson

Adrian, been away so could not reply any sooner.

Email me privatley, I'm in the business of law and Ins so I might be able to point you in the right direction or I will know someone who will.

At the end of the day the small print on your policy is importantant.

S

Shrek

Whoo Hooo, Whoo Hooo, Whoo Hooo, Whoo Hooo, Whoo Hooo, Whoo Hooo, Whoo Hooo, Whoo Hooo !

My new fishing tackle has arrived. Want to go home and play now !!!!!

Let you know what's arrived when I come back on Friday. No internet access at home !

A

S

Shrek

Sorry, so excited, that should have been "Monday" as it's Friday today !!!

I remember now.......................