Replacement Quiver Tips

HarryTom

Reaction score
Hi Chaps
It's been a while.
Please could somebody tell me how long the replacement quiver tips offerd by Grey's are?
I'm to making some very light, very short, ice rod style vertical jigging sticks and these seem to fit the bill when glued into a short 6"ish handle coupled with a Micro fixed spool or better yet centrepin and 4lb braid plus fluocarbon tippet/leader and that spells 'FUN' big time :D.
These tips even come ready whipped with SiC rings.
For those who are thinking 'WHY' would anyone do this just think how many small perch there are around now and how much fun anything weighing more than 6oz would be on one of these.
regards
Jeremy

John Howard

Reaction score
Why do they have to be Greys?

if you visit any large tackle shop they should have a large range of tips available. Either to fit specific rods or if there still available universal tips from Middy. All are ringed and come in various lengths.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
For those who are thinking 'WHY' would anyone do this just think how many small perch there are around now and how much fun anything weighing more than 6oz would be on one of these.
If you caught a record though, I don't think it would count as the rod has to be so long, is it 1.2 metres?

From memory all tips are around the same length give an inch or so. Seems to me what you want is a carbon tip of 3ozs. Lots of manufacturers do them.

HarryTom

Reaction score
Hi John
Probably just as well I reckon records are meaningless to me - I'd rather have fun than worry about other people's rules - but if that floats your boat knock your self out .......
Back to the quivers 3-6oz would be fine and I'm looking for a tip length of 20" plus. and upto around 30"ish total length.
http://icefishingtoday.com/pages/full_episodes.php
Have a peek at some of these vids. and you'll get an idea of what I'm after - think side of boat for 'icehole'.
If anyone has the length of the grey's tips or can supply me with a source of 'donkey tops' I'd be most grateful.
ta
jeremy

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I just threw the record bit in, in case you did catch one.

I know what you want, Abu used used to sell Pilking rods back in the 60s, they had a small reel, centrepin style, on the side on some.

Donkey tops would be better if they are stiff enough.

Alternatively, why not keep your eye on Ebay and look for an ideal second hand rod that going for not much money, say £20 or about the rpice of a donkey top. Buy it, cut the top off that you want and chuck the rest in the bin. Might be even better to do that.

HarryTom

Reaction score
Jeff
I remember them well - 2 tips made of white nylon and you could store lures in the handle and yes I did have one but never used it but its vanished now.
I fish a lot from my boat on the Yorky ouse and thought would be fun to try - a lot of perches and jacks in the YOuse and imagine a macky on it in the salt.

I know there greys g-tec syuff and did ring there showroom in Alnwick but they haven't rung me back with the info. yet.
Overall I'm really not fussed about the make just want them to be right which is something which will give me a finished rod of between 26"/32" and capable of vertically jigging upto 0.25oz plus small flies/plastics on very light braid/fluo. Think of a sabiki type rig.
regards
Jeremy

John Howard

Reaction score
Jeremy, where are you from? I know that Stapeley Angling near Nantwich have a wide range of quiver tips.

Have you thought about a top length from a match road or fly rod?

HarryTom

Reaction score
Hi chaps
Finally visited one of my local, real, honest-to-goodness tackle dealers.:D
Try before you buy really is the way to go.
Unfortunately no 'donkeytops' but he did have a selection of replacement tips 2 of which fitted the bill fine'.
For info they were made by drennan and were 24" long, slow tapered and 2oz and 3oz in glass and carbon respectively. All in all just about perfect and a snip ;) at £12.50 each.
I was lucky in having 2 u/l rod handles spare so no extras there.
If the ed./boss is reading this I'd like to send an article about this that would include everything needed for anyone interested in trying out this molarkey.
Unfortunately haven't been able to get out and use the rods yet as I'm without boat till the summer.
BTW to answer a few questions I very near York and yes I do have a 'pen' rod which is novel but not much else.
Also using a cut down rod tip no matter how stiff isn't the best way as it was designed to benrd as part of a much longer length and tends to very stiff actioned when short lengths are used.
The quivers on the other hand are designed to bend fully over there shorter length to achieve there test curve rating - however light - i.e. there 'complete' rods in there own right.
Regards and thanks to all for your help and suggestions
Jeremy