Wheres me frog spawn

T

The Monk

Just sat at the side of me pond chilling out watching a frog eat a spider, well good

I then however noticed some of my fish eating the frog spawn and me little tadpoles, goldfish, small carp and rudd, they were all having a go

anyone experienced this before then?

D

Dave Rothery

brilliant bait this time of year, frogspawn.
if you can find some whilst stalking, the carp(and i've seen bream and tench) wont be far behind.......

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
All my fish are like little footballs at the mo Monk (full of Frogspawn). I have little spawn left, but load of tadpoles in the weed. The fish will no doubt start on them soon.

C

Chris Bishop

I can remember bringing it home in a jam jar and watching the tadpoles trying to dodge the fish in the pond at home.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Loads of frog spawn and tadpoles every year but few make it to the frog stage, but the fish are well fed. It's been like this for the 11 years we have been here.

I

ian jay

Last weekend I went to the family cottage and saw my partner's father scooping a huge ball of frogspawn out of the pond, and preparing to heave it over the hedge.

As he started to swing it I shouted for him to stop - but too late. It flew in a perfect arc into the adjoining field. And with my poor Czech, I gave him the equivalent of a good old English bollocking.

He gave me a strange look, and wandered off. Later, I discovered the reason for the strange look - he thought I wanted to eat it!

S

Sascha Welsch

I remember my parents' goldfish always being particularly plump at this time of year too and the pet eels I had went mad for the stuff (just don't tell my mum I knicked it from her pond!)

G

Gerry Castles

I keep only koi and frogs. The frogs have chosen other parts of the garden to live in, but the koi don't eat frog spawn or tadpoles, curious buggers that they are.
I tried them once with live freshwater shrimp, a supposed delicacy for koi, but they just eyeballed each other until the shrimp died of old age.

K

Keith Hacking

my fish ,koi and goldfish,a few sticklebacks and a chub of about three pounds which my daughter put in the pond,about the size of a minnow some fifteen years ago.all eat the tadpoles every year.this year there were only two lots of frogspawn in the pond.so feeling a bit sorry for them i have put one lot in a five gallon bucket,which have now hatched i will have to make a small pond now just for the frogs etc.as i used to get loads of them.do they eat the tadpoles of toads anyone.just wondered if they have the same protection as the adult toads.ie poisons in there skin.

T

The Monk

I suppose I should have realised that, cheers everyone, I've moved the rest of me frogspawn to my lower marsh pool, the rest of it will have to take pot luck, I have 4 pools you see all inter joined, I like to see my frogs and newts though, just have to try and keep them separate from the fish.

trouble with Herons, also, see my new thread