Strange catches

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Reading the article on Signal Crayfish set the old grey cells off again. Many years ago whilst fishing the Oxford/Coventry canal at Upper Heyford in Oxfordshire I had a cracking bite on the float rod and eventually landed a Turtle (Red spots on either side of its head & nasty claws ) safely unhooked and returned rightly or wrongly. Also a another good bite while fishing a park lake at Southgate Nth London, I've never had a fish come up in 14 ft of water so quickly and then it took off. Yes you've guessed a duck, a juvenile at that , managed to land it and unhook it while onlookers used my landing net to fed of the parents. Again released none the worse for wear. What strange things have you caught?

E

Eric Hayes

Pair of kids speedo swimming trunks.

But the strangest thing that keeps happening, and this I just can`t get my head round. Why TF do I always seem to catch a double figure bin liner virtually every time I go fishing?

A

Ashe Hurst

On my local RiverCray a few summers ago there wasa problem with Mitten Crabs.
I was getting very shy bobs on the float. when i struck it would go solid then come up slow with no fight.
Other times there would be no hoohwith the line cut clean through.
On checking with the E/A, they recomended that any captured Mitten Crabs should be destroyed. They are not native and pose a health risk to our own native species.

On a lighter note. I did once catch a bush hat that i had lost in strong winds some years before. It was a bit Manky and full of snail eggs.
When sea fishing off Ramsgate i was getting lumps of chalk with star fish attached.

R

Richard Drayson

Strange catches?
Saw one guy catch a terrapin once from the R. Test, Hampshire.
Hooked a Sunseeker powerboat off of Hurst Point, Hants, whilst feathering for mackerel... didn't manage to get it in though!

Similar thing happened whilst feathering for mackerel off Chesil Beach, Dorset. Foul-hooked a 250lb+ Porbeagle Shark.

Strange, but true!!!

J

Jon Carrington

I managed 2 trufted ducks in a Fir and feather match, both taken off the bottom, I claimed that I should of won the match as nobody else caught anything that had fur or feather's!!!!

S

Sascha Welsch

A Great-Crested Grebe in Denmark taken off the bottom in 8ft of water (released unharmed and in perfect nick unlike my mate who unhooked it!) and a carrier bag from the Trent which gave a cracking 5 minute long fight in the flow. A small roach impaled on a treble while deadbaiting also saved a blank one day :mad:)

S

Sascha Welsch

Oh, and a barge cruiser type thing on the Norfolk Broads (Bure I think) on a popped-up deadbait. That really gave a one-toner on the alarm!!

Canoeists/rowers were commonplace on the Notts Embankment stretch of the Trent, you just had to pick out the female teams for the best entertainment. 3oz feeder and double maggot was usually the going method for the more buxom rowers.

R

Ron Clay

A blinking great snapping turtle on floating crust fished for carp many years ago.

A puff adder accidently foul hooked on a spinner bait fished for bass. Again very many years ago.

S

Shrek

How the heck did you unkook the puff adder Ron? Well dangerous snake.

P

Paul Christie

In ireland last year, my mate caught a small pouch like object. Inside there were hundreds upon hundreds of ?20 mobile phone cards still in their wrappers! Seemed like someone had done a job and dumped them for some reason?
Another friend also caught a bag of dead cats (with brick), many years ago in ireland.

S

Sascha Welsch

That reminds me Paul, a couple of lads I went to school with hooked an old bag on a flooded River Welland in Spalding a good few years ago that turned out to be full of , presumably stolen, jewlery. I believe that it survived the 6 month reclaim waiting period at the police station and they were able to keep it.

I kid you not Stu, if you want entertainment spend a day fishing the Embankment. I've seen coaches (riding a bike while shouting instructions at the rowers) hit fishermens poles and pole rests and come a cropper, boats going past with naked female sunbathers on them, a dog jumping in and attacking a rowing team and numerous other strange goings on.

Fishing, on a hot Summer Wednesday (when the colleges did their rowing) or Weekend was nigh on impossible but worth it just for the laugh.

D

David Will

Sugar beets on the Relief Channel , pull a bit too.Terrapin out of the Colne.I used to think that Pike on Peperami were flukes but I am now beginning to think it is a viable bait?

K

Keith Hacking

tickling trout in a brook early sixties,found this two inch mortar bomb.used smoke bomb actually,but me and me mate didnt know that,just thought wow a bomb lets set it of,so we takes it to an old quarry and throws it in and dived for cover.nothing happens so we tries again.no just the sound of it thumping into the bottom of the quarry.damn its a dud we thought and takes it back to me mates farm.and i went home for me tea.anyway the next day the idiot takes it to school.and the headmaster spots him throwing at the school wall.poor fellow nearly has a heart attack.grabs the offending bomb places it
in a bucket of water in the middle of the playground and evacuates the school.so me mates a hero to all the kids ,got us out of lessons while we all wait for the bomb squad.got a real rollicking for it after though.hate to think what would happen to him today.

Bruce Kerby

Reaction score
Start of the season Tenching on the Basingstoke Canal, hooked a cray which in turn was taken by a mother Mink,good scrap though

R

Ron Clay

The puff adder was an incredible capture. I was fishing from a small boat in a farm dam of about 5 acres fringed with lilies.

I over cast whilst throwing my lure into a small bay and it landed on the bank near some rocks. As I jerked the lure to free it it caught a 21/2 foot puff adder in the neck.

The hook was embedded beyond the barb and all I could do was reel the serpent in to the side of the boat, secure the line to a row lock and pull for shore.

There I unhitched the line and by some degree of luck managed to get my boot on the snakes head. I decapitated the snake with my knife!

When I think back on that incident I often shudder.

It was fishing the same water from the dam wall one day that I was attacked by ants, but that's another story.

I

ian jay

Me and a pal were carp fishing on a lake last year, using popped-up sweetcorn. After a couple of hours of inactivity my pal began to retrieve for a recast, when he had a screamer ...

Two hours later, a very tired angler released a 2 meter catfish, that had been foul-hooked on the back of the head.