wheres me bloody fish gone?

T

The Monk

Being a keen ornithologists as well as an anglers does have its problems

Herons are attacking me fish!

I'm not really into shooting herons with air guns and do appreaciate a long legged bird in the garden occasionally

Thinking of getting a plastic one, although been told they dont work too well,

dont fancy a net over the ponds

Strange think is, my Herons only appear to take certain fish, last year they nicked 3 sturgeon, one of me commons has gone missing this year too, but they seem to leave the poxy goldfish alone?

any ideas?

K

Keith Hacking

nets the only thing that works on my pond.i have been bothered by herons every year after my fish.think they like a easy meal when there feeding chicks as its always this time of year they seem to come.they seem to do the rounds of all the ponds in the area at this time.two years ago the local aquarium shop sold out of nets,couldnt get them fast enough.it liked the plastic heron though,tried to mate with it.tried stretching strong nylon over didnt work though. felt like shooting it myself,cant though can you.but if a cormarent ever tries it,be a bit different.

J

John Pleasance

I've found that two lines stretched around the perimeter of the pond are completely effective,one at about 9" high and another one at about 18".

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I agree with John especially if they angled over the water at approx 45 degrees although you may need more than 2 wires.

T

The Monk

thanks John/Richard, yes I've heard that, something about Herons tending to land on the bank and walk into the water, I may have to examine something along these lines (no pun)

F

Fred Bonney

After loosing all my Orfe to Heron,I raised the banks and thinned out reeds in the pond.They do walk in, but will land on a good reed bed.
The 'tripwire' seemed to be effective as well.

F

Fred Bonney

No, the trip wire did not have a hand grenade on the end!

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
Where i work we have a a carp lake and an ornamental pond too. In the pond there are no fish at all but it was stuffed full of frogspawn. The other day when i went up there it had completely gone. I spoke to the gardener and he assured me that he hadn't cleaned it out, but oddly enough he did tell me that he'd seen a heron in there lately!!!. So it seems they have a very diverse diet. In my garden at home i've got two cats and i've never seen so much as a sparrow in there.