Motivation

B

Bob Watson

I've been fishing, on and off since I first visited the Norfolk broads aged 7 (now 38). During that time I've had periods of "lay off" where I just couldn't be bothered to get up and go. My interest has never waivered, I still managed a few sessions every season, bought the weeklies and discovered this site through buying Coarse fisherman mag whilst going through an "unmotivated patch", It's probably what kick started me back on the banks proper, although I'm still not 100% as keen as I used to be (sat here typing instead of fishing) I know I'm not far from it ie.
In from work, no tea, pick up gear and out til' the gates were locked, even got locked in once and our lass thought the worst when I returned the next morning.
All weekend every weekend, every night after work, did I have burn out, did the commitment I put into my fishing become too much? Who knows! but I can feel that urge returning strongly, I've been though it many times before, distracted by other things, Girls at one stage, then nightclubs, then the arrival of kids. The latest was taking up carpet bowls during the winter, this lead to outdoor in the summer and bowling for a team most nights a week and club competions on weekends, no time for fishing then! Open day on the green today as it happens.
This year is going to see me on the banks more often (and probably in a bedsit).
Does anybody else have the same sort of scenario or are you all "up and at it" every chance you get?

F

Fred Bonney

Bob,your not alone,last season,fishing the Upper Ouse,I couldn't get out of the house fast enough,learning how to fish a river properly for the first time ,probably helped.
This season I just couldn't get myself going,although a stretched out,house move had a lot to do with that.
But I seem to need motivation from time to time,it was probably led by this site last season and will probably be led next season by the new lure of the Trent,we shall see.
I also went through the same peaks and troughs in my youth,and with cricket taking up a hell of a lot of my time from the age of 30 to 45,I missed some very good years of fishing around the Milton Keynes area.
Perhaps I should try Carp or Pike fishing, that may motivate me to fish for the larger specimens of our freshwater species.
Who knows what the problem is, but,I certainly need motivation

S

Stu Black

my plan was to go on thurs night and come home tonight....I came home from work on thursday, sorted bait from the freezer, filled the water bottle, loaded the bucket with pellets. Thats as far as i got. AAh well I'll make it to Selby

B

Bob Watson

Fred, I think you're right. A change of direction can renew your passion, my recent interest in lure fishing (following an article by Graham, cost me a fortune you ****) has renewed my vigour and lead to an interest in all round predator fishing.

Stu, don't forget my winnebago and four poster;-) I'll bring the ruffe slappers, just need a contact no. for them off Monk ;-)

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
We are all the same Bob. You have to keep inventing new goals for yourself. Like learning to flyfish. Then try catching a big chub on a lure. And then try wallis casting etc etc. An angler can never have too many strings to his bow and you've got a lifetime to try them all.

B

Bob Watson

Very true Alan, forwards and onwards, sideways gets you nowhere fast. Never fancied fly fishing but having said that, I never fancied Pike fishing or thought I ever would until recently.
This site has really opened my eyes and mind and I'd like to thank all the contributors for it!

J

John Pleasance

You should make the most of it Bob at only 38,cos it gets harder as you get older.

It can be very difficult sometimes to motivate yourself after a day's work and maybe an hour in traffic on the way home to sort everything out and then get back in the car again for another half hour of the same.

A few years ago It didn't bother me at all, but I have to say quite often recently I find myself wondering just how badly I need to catch more fish.

It is a bit of a vicious circle really cos if you put less into it you get less out of it and seem to want it even less.

B

Bob Watson

John
I must admit to being naturally lazy, lost numerous jobs through bad time keeping, can't get my a**e out of bed to go, that's why I went self employed but when it comes to fishing I never had a problem getting up no matter what the time.
It's a phase I go through and am coming to an end of, Going tomorrow, all ready, and no doubt will struggle to sleep tonight, the anticipation is still there as it was as a kid.

BTW Lost my first bowls game of the season this afty' getting sick of that now ;-)

B

Bob Watson

Forgot to mention, I didn't buy an annual license last season, just coz I didn't have any immediate start of season plans (coz of bowls) I bought day licenses EVERY time I went and have recently come across them in my wallet, tackle box, kitchen drawer (why?), rucksack, old car (found em coz I as cleaning it out to sell) glove box and a few other places, total found (not bought)= 17 @ ?2.50 you can do your own maths. Got an annual one this year and I'm gonna get my moneys worth out of it.

S

Stu Black

I dont know what it is this year, I just cant get myself going, I'm on a new lake (last years has been sold) I'm on a new bait that i'm convinced is going to do the business, I've spent hours with the marker rod and been baiting spots up regularly, yet I cant get myself together to actually go fishing. I've done 1 night this year for chrissake! I even know my baits catching cos i left a kilo with a mate the other night and he had 3 good fish. I need a kick up the arse or something?