Fluoro line

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I am currntly looking for information on fluorocarbon lines to use on a fishery where braid is banned.

There does seem to be a few makes out there but never seem to be able to find out line diameters or any real info as I dont believe in 'hype' buying.

Idealy the finest strenth to dia and also as soft as possible would be advantageous.

Generally 4 to 5 lb and 8lb would be my choice.
I know there are some decent fluoro fly leaders out there but once again cant find the info (if you ask, what they are selling is always the best)

Could anyone offer any insights?

J

John Pleasance

There have been a few threads on fluoro before Tim but I don't remember the info you are after being covered.

I use Drennan Fluoro Fly leader in 8lb for barbel fishing and also Wychwood Fluoro in 6lb for other fishing and for barbel in winter.

I don't think you will find a soft fluoro,I believe they are all a bit stiff,doesn't seem to matter though, in fact it is why the much heavier breaking strains are used in stiff rigs.

I find it comes off the spool quite curly but once I've tied up my hooklength a gentle pull stretches it out straight.

I don't think they come pre-stretched either, which is how you would get a thinner dia per b/s.

I use palomar knots on both of the above and don't have any problems with them at all.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Thanks John.

I had a look through the older threads but didnt seem to find much.
I was thinking about trying the middy Lo-Viz line in about 4.4lb (0.16mm) and wondered if anyone has had any experience of this product?

Tim Birch

Reaction score
On a similar note does youself, John or anyone know of low diameter extra soft lines.
Not too worried about stretch as only for hooklengths, but I can see the softness of braid being an advantage?

C

Chris Bishop

A lot off people used to swear by Silstar Match Team - it disappeared for a while but I think another firm's now marketing it.

M

Martin Wright

I've been using Riverge Grand Max for a number of years for trout and also barbel/chub - it's superb and because of it's finer diameter than most you can step up the breaking strain.

W

William Spencer

tim stay away from middy line it is absolutely crap.my fishing bod bought a spool of 2.6lb it snapped at 1.75lbs.i personally use ghoul from maver and carp r us the breaking strain i use is higher but i have had no problems with it.

L

Les Clark

Hi,Tim ive just filled a spool of"Berkley trilene sensithin"10lb b/s 28mm,for carp off the top,I dont know if it goes down to 4lb,but its quite limp, in fact im thinking of trying it for hair rigs.

R

Ron Clay

Sight free or Uncle Jacks from most fly tackle outlets is very good.

If you can get bulk spools of Stren from the States that's also very good.

J

Jon Moores

Uncle Jack's is very good and also very cheap. There is supposed to be a much softer more supple flouro coming out called 'Frog Line' or something like that, though I'd be careful about any untried flouro as others have noted above.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
William,
Unfortunately (maybe) I purchased some 4.4lb middy lo-viz fluoro beffore I read yore reply, I must admit I have'nt tested the strength but Im not over keen with this making it slightly grey for inland waters idea.
I had some Fluoro off a magazine which, being curious, I decided to try and test.
This was'nt very scientific but did notice that if put in still water did'nt seem very invisible at all, although when tested against another 'clear' line found that under the running water of my kitchen tap it did seem to do what it said on the tin.
I was suitably impressed.
Unfortunately the middy stuff looks like grey line under any water.

Another fiver down the drain.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Just another point on this, it also seems thicker, although I hav'nt had micrometer on it (yet) and seems very stiff.
I'm not here to slate middy tackle at all but if anyone in that direction would like to discuss this then I'm waiting.

Just maybe myself and williams friend had a bad batch, if so 'Middy' how about sending us some from a good batch so real people can write about how you looked after them and if your stuff works (rather than the weekly mag 'Ghosts')
Come on my itchy keyboard finger is ready now to publicly state how good your after sales is and how any statements towards the quality of your tackle have turned out to be unfounded.