Balliffs

J

Jack Pike

I am a baliff for my local club and I am wondering how many members here are baliffs too and what hassle they get whilst out on duty?

L

Les Clark

On the club waters that I fish,in 5 yrs I have rarely seen a baliff,one chap looks after one water, but only becouse he lives on the edge of the lake,you may see a couple on april 1st,new season,but thats that.
A couple of the lakes are on combination locks so you get the number with your membership,but the rest are open for anyone to walk onto,but not baliffed,considering ive just paid ?350 subs for myself and my wife,I find this a very poor show.

F

Fred Bonney

You could always volunteer Les,you may save yourself ?350!!!

K

Keith Hacking

i am a baliff on the bottom mile of our stretch of river.get a few people fishing who arnt members,but they always leave when asked,just ask them if they are members when they say no.they know they are in the wrong and go peacefully.mind you being six foot three and sixteen stone helps i think.
kids are the worst,think there untouchable.
they know the police are not interrested,i know they are the next generation of anglers and dont want too discourage them.but they have a free stretch of fishing just below us and keep straying on to our patch.last night i picked up a large carrier bag full of rubbish they had left on our bank.plus a lot of discarded nylon line.same every weekend and school hollidays.tell them till i am blue in the face dont take any notice.and for those who say leave them alone,the other day one of the little fellows had caught a four pound chub cut its head of and thrown it back in the river.litle swine.

I

ian jay

Keith

Know what you mean!

I used to bailiff a few years ago. On the local river there were a couple of dangerous spots where the banks were undercut, and the water deep and fast. I felt that both I and the club had a resposibility to remove underage children (under 12) who were not with an adult. If I had ignored them, and they fell in and drowned, after I had spoken to them - we could be liable for not showing a 'duty of care'.

However, I was not a complete b*stard - I invited them to fish the canal, papers or not!

Ian

L

Les Clark

Hi Fred,Iknow what you mean,but it dosnt work like that in our club,still have to pay your subs,and a lot of the ex bailiffs had fallen out with the boss man,kept moveing the goal posts.
apart from that,they take the money,shoudnt they provide the full service,if you join a golf club,you get a green keeper,golf pro,ect,why should angleing clubs be any different.

F

Fred Bonney

Les,If the club committee,is taking ?175 off each person,why don't the membership ask what they are doing with the money.
Is the rent for the waters taking all the money? Or are they importing foreign Carp?
When I lived in Milton Keynes,we paid ?35 annual subs,there were always baliffs(unpaid)and we had plenty of waters and fish!

K

Keith Hacking

I wish i got paid for doing this.its a thankless unapreciated job.had my car scratched and eggs thrown at my front door.and i only ask them to move not nasty with them at all.

J

Jack Pike

I agree with you Keith it is a thankless task getting flack off both sides, members moaning at me quote " You should of been here an hour ago" My favourite approach is I usually if I dont reconise anyone fishing I plonk myself by them get chatting about the waters and the fishing for ten miniutes then casual ask them if they are a member and if they ever get bothered by bailiffs then I produce my bailiffs card the look on some peoples face is priceless.

L

Les Clark

Hi Fred,no club committe,one boss man,take it or leave,if your face dont fit,on your bike,but very good waters,so Ikeep to the rules ,keep a low profile and just enjoy my fishing.