Catching Eels

D

Damian Dingwall

Hi there,

I live near the Itchen, and want to chance my arm at catching some eels for the pot. I plan to use knitting wool and earthworms (not a hook in sight) and wondered whether I am therefore expemt from having to buy a license?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Damian

L

Les Clark

Hi Damian,I think your right, as long as theres no hook,you can get away with it, but it would be a good idea to check with the E.A first,you dont want to get fined,(?2500)max,it would be a dear pie &mash.

D

Damian Dingwall

Thanks Les, I had planned to give them a call, but had no idea it was 2.5k! Blimey, that would ruin the afternoon....

J

John McLaren

Damian, I don't really understand your question. Even if, technically, you don't need a licence (and I think you do anyway, it is about fishing with rod and line not whether you have a hook on the end of it.)If you are a freshwater angler over the age of 12 you need a rod licence - I assume you do fish for species other than eels!

Perhaps you are talking about a permit to fish though and, again, the answer probably is yes you do need one otherwise you are poaching eels or otherwise.

D

Damian Dingwall

Hi John,

Currently not an angler of any sort, hence lack of knowledge about any of these matters, and lack of license

If it is a rod and line issue, would you be ok to use a wicker trap, and if so how is the poaching issue affected. Who would own any eels in the Itchen? Do the EA control permits to fish as well?

J

John McLaren

My understanding is that any sort of "fixed engine" such as a trap has to licenced by the EA. The issue of permits relates to the fact that the fishery owners control fishing rights on their stretches of water and that includes eels. I don't know the Itchen but, given its reputation, I would be surprised if there is much in the way os "public" water that can be fished by all comers. Les Clark's advice to ask the EA is your best course of action I think. (Or try their web site)

K

Kevin Cox

Hi Damian,
i think what your refering to is called "bobbing for eels" & to be honest i dont know whether you would need a rod liscence or not, due to you not actualy using any hooks.
John Mclaren's right about eel traps & that includes fyke nets.
Personaly, for the sake of ?22 i wouldent risk it.

T

Tony Jolley

Hi Damian,
I believe it is illegal to attach a bait to a line without the use of a hook being attached and so my understanding would be that Babbing should by law be illegal.
I would advise to take the earlier advice and check with the E,A. on this.
I know it is an old practice to do what you suggest.
There are a few things you could consider from this,
1, eels are in decline,due to various factors, so obviously I am going to suggest you don`t take them for the pot, in the first place,
2, eels suffer from a number of problems, such as various parasites, including Anguilla-Coli crassus,
3 As you probably know eels spend most of their time buried in the silt of waters in which they live, The flesh of the eel is very absorbent to the chemicals and nitrates that are deposited into the waters and then settle in the silt layers.and then into the flesh of the eels,
Eels are used in environment studies to assess the mineral and chemical contents of waters due to this fact. absorbent of mercury is a particular worry.and then of course into the human body.

Hope this helps.

Anthony Jolley,
General Secretary.
National Anguilla Club.

C

Chris Bishop

If you fancy eating eels I'd just buy them - a lot less hassle.

If you've never fished before you stand next to no chance of catching them anyway.

Babbing involves using a ball of wool woven up with worms, the idea being that the eels' tiny teeth get snagged in the wool for long enough to tease them to the surface.

It's more or less a dying art.

Even experienced anglers regard eels as a challenging species, especially the larger ones.

If you want to get into fishing get stuck in by all means - it's truly the most amazing sport, which really does offer something for everyone.

Put the eels back though - they've got enough problems as it is at the moment.

A

Ashe Hurst

This isa Quote from the National Fisheries Bylaws, Environment Agency.

Close seaon,
Rivers, canals, drains, streams, and all sites of special scientific interest shall be closed for the period from and on the 15th march and to and including 15 June.

Eels.
there is no close season on those waters where the close season for freshwater fish has been dispensed with.

Traps other than Fyke nets may be placed and used for the purpouse of taking Eels subject to conditions.

The regulations would leave me on here half the night.

The wool and worms method ive seen before on TV.

I advise that you contact the Environment Agency tel , 01732 875 587. Explain what you want to do. The Bylaws may differ in your area. And you will need a lisence. from the post office.