Life Saver

F

Fred Bonney

All right I admit it,53 years of age and I still haven't learnt to swim,so,any recommendations please for life jackets? The ones I've seen, seem very expensive,but,I suppose,how much is your life worth?
By the way it will need to support a big fella!

S

Stuart Johnson

I am sure Gary Knowles did a review on one some time ago. You may find it in the review archives.

S

Stuart Bullard

Fred - how much were they??

I know it is easy to say, but if you do a lot of fishing, you would do yourself a favour by having some swimming lessons. I used to be a lifeguard, and we had many "older" people come in for lessons. I was often surprised at how quickly many of them took to it.

Its not about swimming long distances, but having some confidence in the water so that you can "align" yourself in those important first seconds. For example, how to tread water would be a real asset, and you do not need to know how to swim to do it.

Also, I seem to remember some horror stories about either inappropriate vests or them not being worn properly. With all his pike fishing from boats Gary is probably better at advising on that one.

Good luck!!

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks for your response,StuartB.?80/100.
My problem is I have too much confidence in water,I'll wade as deep as I can get as long as I've got an idea of the depth,it's when my feet can't feel the bottom,that the panic sets in.
Your right I should learn!Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll take them up.
Should use the web more.

S

Stu Black

Fred. fox do a good one, its drab green and unobtrusive when not needed but when it inflates, it goes flouro orange. Its about 90 quid (you might find it cheaper)and all proceeds made from it go to the Keith Selleck trust to promote safety. look here

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Stu,

I'm also looking for a life-jacket and the one you've described sounds perfect! I've tried your link and it won't load on my machine, any idea what the address is or where else I can buy one online?

Regards Chris

Mark Vernel

Reaction score
Best price I've seen for the KS BODYGUARD is ?79.99 following the link -
http://www.billy-clarke.co.uk/Billy Clarke_files/Fox_files/LuggageAcces.htm
and scroll way down to the bottom of the Accessories listing.

Repacement Cylinders are there too at ?16.99

- Remember it is only a boyancy aide - which even if you are uncouncious will hold you face up in the water - you really need to get some lessons on swimming - or you might just float away.....

May be worth doing a search on the web for 'KS BODYGUARD LIFE JACKET' well priced, excellent product, and proceeds going to a worthy cause (instead of a manufacturers wallet)

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Cheers for the info mate, I'll order one tommorrow.

I'm a perfectly able swimmer, but I wouldn't overly fancy my chances of finding my way out of Graffham or Rutland water in the middle of November with the full Igloo suit on e.t.c. (lol)

Regards Chris.

Harry Potter

Reaction score
Fred, take the lessons as well! My mum learnt to swim at the same time i did, when iwas about 5. I cant swim particularly far but it did get me out of trouble once in Lanzarote ( i was f****d by the time i got to foot level)! My dad used to be a really good canoeist and his dad learnt when he was 40 odd, to look after my dad in his canoe.

I

Ian Whittaker

Fred, remember this;
If it saves your life once it will be worth it.Also you won't need to buy more than one but you may need an occassional refill.
All the best and may you never need to use it.