Did Animal Rights Fanatics start Foot & Mouth?

M

Malcolm Bason

Did anyone read the article in Fridays Daily Mirror? (March 2) On page 9 there was an article suggesting that Animal Rights Extremists could be behind the Foot & Mouth crisis!

Ministry of Agriculture investigators were looking into the possibility of activists having planted the disease in some way in a crazy attempt at disrediting farming practises; saying that these extremists could consider the slaughter of thousands of animals a 'small price to pay'!

'Min of Ag' officials believe "it is too early to rule the possibility that terrorists are behind this" and a Ministry source went on to say that "Many people in the department think it is no coincidence that farming has suffered swine fever and foot and mouth outbreaks within nine months after years and years of healthy herds."

It has been mentioned numerous times on various forums that the above was/is a possibility - it seems we are not alone?????

F

Fergal Scully

It could be the Iraq government aswell after the bombing.

P

p jackson

we as a great nation of givers and ask for nothing in return are envied by all nations, and will be a target for many, sad and sick people and groups trying to undermine what they can only think of having.
there again we could just be !*?~ out of luck, at are own expence.

S

Steve Baker

323 cases? definately somthing fishy going on.

I didnt realise there were so many farms in the uk

S

Stewart Bloor

Personally, I don't go for the conspiracy theories, certainly as far as the anti's are concerned. For sure, it will make some people re-think their diets and attitudes, but, and it's a BIG but, it has entailed, and will entail the killing of thousands upon thousands of animals. Animals and the protection of, are the very reson that the anti's exist. Even with a warped mind, I couldn't see an anti behind the current situation, even if the end result was that we all became vegetarians.

P

Paul Williams

No i don't think the anti's or saddam have started FMD either!!
I think that it was just down to bad luck to start with followed by the farming industrys own mistakes afterwards!!
I never realised how travelled my Sunday roast was!!!!! stock are moved from market to market!!!
Another thing IMHO is the putting down off infected animals and then leaving them laying about!!! scavengers are very hungry at this time of year, so it is easy to see the problem there.
Another major plus for the virus is the weather!!!! how many of us are "flued" up? i've had a heavy cold for three months!!! just when i think it's going back it comes!!! and i speak to many others who are the same......we need a good old fashioned long hot summer followed by a good old fashioned cold dry winter!!!!! old wives tales usually have a ring of truth!!

C

Carp Angler

Sedge said "Animals and the protection of, are the very reson that the anti's exist. "

The anti's have also come out and said that an animal is better off dead than owned.

It certainly changed my view on the situation.

P

p jackson

stewart you most be in the wrong dimension if you think animal right arn't sick in the head.(some wouldn't be able to define what thay actuial fighting for),(others are on the band wagon and the rest i class as headless chickens.)stop and have a good look at what people are doing in the name of freedom,by the way i do have principals cruelty no,control yes,distruction if need be.

P

Phil Hackett

The anti's quite often talk with foot in mouth, whether they have the means to obtain the virus is I sggest, most unlikely!

R

Ron Clay

In Angling Times today Big Des tells a few truths about FMD. What I find difficult is why everything has to be closed and why do we not fight and initially prevent the desease with vaccines?
In Southern Africa, FMD is endemic. It is prevelent mainly in wild antelope, buffalo and wildebeest. However cattle do get it from time to time. Whilst problems occur with dairy herds, most of the time the desease is contained quite well.
At Onderstepoort just north of Pretoria is the large Veterinary Research Establishmint which incorporates The FMD Research and Vaccine Production Plant. I am extremely famililiar with this operation as for many years I used to sell them filtration equipment. At the FMD R&V they produce a very effective vaccine against FMD which is used throughout Southern Africa.
Why do we not have that sort of operation in Europe? It might prevent such massive outbreaks as we have had. The interesting thing about FMD is that an animal that contracts the desease and recovers, possesses powerful anti-FMD antibodies.

S

Stewart Bloor

I'm certainly no expert on F&M but I did research that showed there are a minimum of 17 strains worldwide. There are also a number of sub-strains. In order to be totally effective, every animal would have to be vaccinated for every strain.
In fairness to farmers, as the last outbreak was in 1967 (not including the Isle of Wight, of course) then they weren't expecting this to happen.
It's easy to blame farmers, saying they should have vaccinated etc, but a)It's not simply a case of 1 injection, as the strains / sub-strains prove and b)As it's been so long ago since the last outbreak then most farmers (or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't even have given it a thought.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

R

Ron Clay

Any desease that is caused by a virus should be guarded against. I don't want to do a piece about virology because this web site is about fishing, but what I will say is that viruses are extremely tiny particles, down to 0.02 of a micron. They can exist anwhere. FMD of course has various strains just like influenza. At Onderstepoort they work constantly on the various strains producing vaccines to suit all the time. The cost to UK and Europe is going to be enormous. I know it's abit ;like shutting the door after the horse has polted but to set up a proper FMD research centre would be extremlely coast effective in view of the recent enormous losses suffered by the farming industry and ultimatly ourselves

J

John Tait

How about this then ?? - a timber yard in Eccleshall, Staffs., had a 'phone call from someone at MAFF approx. two weeks before the annoucement of the outbreak of F & M, asking if they could supply timber for the building of funeral pyres in case of an F & M outbreak - the reason given for the call was that this yard had supplied timber (sleepers/pallets) during the '67 outbreak, and MAFF were wanting to update their records.

Now that is some coincidence, eh what ??

Jonty

M

Malcolm Bason

"Now that is some coincidence, eh what ??
Jonty" - Certainly makes one wonder Jonty!

I have heard since my initial posting on this that The Iraki's were also suspected of reintroducing it over here! Further to this, I'm also informed that America was expecting it after the more recent bombing raids on Irak - not forgetting of course that Britain were involved in that! Further add to this, Foot & Mouth is widespread in Irak and IT IS THE SAME STRAIN AS OURS!

S

Stewart Bloor

If the Iraqi's wanted to cause some sort of devastaion here in the UK, I'm sure they could do something better than F&M.

J

John Tait

But we already have you, Sedge. I'm sure Saddam thinks that is enough for the time being !! ;0)

M

Malcolm Bason

Stewart, I'm sure you are absolutely correct!

The possibiltiy was mentioned on another forum, and when I questioned it, I received an email from someone - I cannot say who it was (and anyway can't remember) who claims he has signed the 'Oficial Secrets Act' and so could not say much, but learned of this possibility listening in to armed forces radio to which he has direct access!!!

It isn't my view by the way, however, I just thought some of you on here may be interested!!!??? ;-)

Regards,

Malc.

P

Paul Williams

Malc,
HA HA HA HA HA HA
you are a wind up merchant you know!!!!
F+MD is a long term problem for the Parachute Regt.....but usually only when they meet up with a squad of Marines during a night on the town,
Damn, now i've gone against the OSA!!!
I'll be blackballed from the ex-servicemans club now!!!!!