Centre pin wobble

quickcedo

Reaction score
Firstly I would like to thank both Geoff Maynard and Mark Wintle for there help in choosing and purchasing a centre pin suitable for my style of fishing.
I managed to buy a Speedia wide drum deluxe today, got for a good price so the condition reflects. It turns smoothly and looks great but there is an element of spool wobble, is this something I should ignore? Is there anything to be done to fix this? As I do intend to keep the reel and put it to work so I would like to look after it as well as possible.
Got a Merlin chucked in for free on the deal (spool lock broken) but runs well and I'll fix the spool lock so I'm very happy. Any advice re the Speedia would be great cheers.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A bit of spool wobble on a Speedia is very normal and will not affect it at all. In fact, finding a Speedia without a wobble would be a good trick as they all seem to do it! :) Don't worry if it doesn't spin for 15 mins either, a less free-running reel is much easier to learn Wallis casting with. Don't overload it with line - 50 yards is enough, any more and you will get bedding in problems.
It's a great reel and I hope it gives you as much fun as mine has given me - and thanks again for the umpteenth time to Alan Tomkins who first turned me on to pins and taught me to use one. He has a lot to answer for.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Geoff once again I'm indebted to you. The wobble isn't bad and doesn't affect the reel at all. I took it down the river this afternoon and must say casting it is so much easier than my more modern pins. Trying various swims acurately casting the required 15yds or so was an absolute joy. Really chuffed!
P.S BLANKED. i HATE NEW TACKLE JINX.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I've got a lot of time for the Speedia. They are exceptionally light and almost as free spinning as any other, far more expensive reel.

My own is very worn indeed and yet it will spin for 2 minutes and 55 seconds. Whilst this doesn't really help you fish, it does give some idea of the actual inertia required to trot with it. This means that you can slow the thing right down with your thumb and it will still allow line to be pulled off smoothly, you can vary that pressure ever so gently and make the bait dance in the water in a most inviting way.

With something this good you don't really need the wheel in the hole, compensating drag, I suppose?

Glad you got a good 'un. They are lovely, aren't they ?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'm a convert to 'true' pins too! Spent an afternoon with Chris Lythe in the Summer and It was amazing how much easier it was to cast with one of his reels than with my Ball race pin. The slight stickyness of the true pin is just right for the Wallis cast.

One thing I've found recently is that (a bit like tuning a beach casting multiplier) it pays to change the oil to suit the weather conditions. My old Trudex was a bit 'sticky' on the Avon on Saturday and I suspect a lighter oil would have made a difference. My reel hasn't had a lot of use even though it is 40+ years old.

My last chance for a barbel for a while over thexy 2 days so I'm contemplating a maggot attack with the Speedia and the Wizard.

I'll get my tweed jacket and deerstalker......

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's funny I don't find any difference in the ball race pin or the true pin when it comes to wallise casting. The person who taught me the wallise cast (Alan roe) is a true master of the cast and he doesn't seem to have a preference either way using both with equal excellence. I think you may perform the cast better if your using a reel you like to use and are comfortable with and purely for that reason and of course if your on form on the day !

quickcedo

Reaction score
Off to the Severn on Sat. Last chance saloon! Will def. be using the Speedia. Been having a chuck with it and whilst i don't seem at the moment to cast as far as I can with my ball race pin, I have not so far had one overrun and am reaching about 20yds which to be fare is more than enough for 90% of my fishing. I must say I don't think the "modern" pin will see the light of day for some time to come.
My Speedia certainly doesn't spin for minutes, but spins freely enough. I love it.