Daves Method Feeding Article

S

Stuart Bullard

As ever, well written Dave.

I have a real issue with the match method feeder you illustrated...or should I say, I had a real issue when using them!

The ones I used at Clattercote had No 12 elastic through them. Set up as you illustrated I had two pull rounds, both times the elastic snapped. I didn't smash the rod around, so I am a bit perplexed by this.

Eventually I adapted it to be in-line and semi-fixed it by pushing in a swivel from my hook link. From then on, no troubles.

Has anyone else used these? Mine were Fox, and the break occured on the elastics knot.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Stu

A lot of people do have an issue with them. If you feel that way then you can get purpose made inline feeders too, it's a personal choice. Personally I don't have a problem as if they are tied and used correctly they should not break off.

Did your elastic snap or did the knot slip? Sometimes a poorly tied knot in elastic pulls through on itself.

K

Kevin Perkins

Stu

Had one break off at Clattercote too, Korum feeder, still had the knot, so it was the elastic that broke. Not entirely happy with that, I have to say.

B

Birds Nest

I've never liked the looks of those elasticated feeders. What advantage to the offer over the semi fixed variety???

F

Fred Bonney

Took a copy of the article so I could read it in peace.Well written Dave,I've only dabbled with this type of feeder,now I know where I was going wrong.Thanks.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
You're welcome Fred, glad it helped.

Birds nest, the theoretical advantage is that the shock of the take when using a feeder rod is absorbed and stops hook pulls as the tension suddenly hits the rod. The inline feeder will essentially be fixed as far as a taking fish is concerned and as the the limits of the rod are reached the hook can pull. It's different if you are using a freespool reel as this will continue to give line. Matter of opinion and preference really.

D

david lilleyman

I have used this feeder set up for two years now, I started with elatic and had the same problem the elasic would always be the weekest point. So I tried replacing it with powergum and it has never failed yet. since then I have never looked back but always have one hand on your rod as the bites are breathtaking at times.

W

Wendy Perry

Printed this lesson out and of to have a good read thanks Dave !

S

Stuart Bullard

Dave - all.

I dont have an issue at all with the principle of this feeder (although note comment below). To answer your question Dave, one snapped half way down, the other must have been a "slip knot" (my sons favourite band!!). So I guess my main issue is with quality.

As I said, I just changed it to an inline form.

I note the point you make about providing some "give" to prevent pulls. My only comment on this would be that in all the takes I had, while being very strong (in one instance smashing the butt up into my nuts!!) I always felt that the quiver tip (3oz I was using) gave me the necessary give.

I will still use it, and like the power gum idea.

PS - what happened to the tench session??

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Stu - Tench session? I haven't had even a gudgeon session up here yet to speak of. Too much building and decorating going on.

I'm trying to get on a private fishery with little success and haven't had time to identify anything else suitable other than the fen drains which are, of course, currently closed. When I get myself sorted out an invite will be on the way, rest assured.....

S

Stuart Bullard

OK - we can always meet half way somewhere. I might actually have a full day at Clattercote. I am sure there are some bigger fish in there......

Lee B

Reaction score
Hi, Dave remember me?
Haven't been to this site for ages as me and my girlfriend have just moved. I'm just about managing to get some fishing in at the moment but only club matches ( I won the last one with 37lb 13oz at gold valley) I'm going to read your method article now.

P.S. Hows Boris?

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Lee B? Buckingham? Big Red? The Postie?

Good to hear from you mate. Boris is thriving and now in double figures.

Lee B

Reaction score
Yes, it's the one and only Big Red. I'm glad to hear that Boris is well and I hope to see him again one day.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
He's resident in the Gt.Ouse now mate as I have moved to Peterborough. Teme is a bit too far from here for an evening after Boris.

C

Chrisx Ess

I often use a method feeder [Fox or Korda] as the pendant weight on helicopter rigs, with lead core etc, on those occasions when I go carping.I use a piece of dissolving rig foam to stop the hooklength sliding up the leadcore, or tie it to the feeder with pva string. I've caught lots of fish in this way. I'm careful to use fish-safe rigs, and I must say I've not used an out and out fixed method-feeder bolt-rig for a long time. I doubt that using it in a free-running inline mode feels much different to the carp - they still charge off, even on the helicopter rig!

C

Chrisx Ess

I forgot to say I thought the article very interesting. It's useful to see familiar techniques described in simple terms, as it leads to rethinking my own tried and trusted methods and looking at them in a new light. Well done for the whole series DC!

Chris Shaw

Reaction score
hi all
i have just found an old pool which nobody has fished for about 7 years so the farmer told me.i went and tryed it the other day but it is full of lillies all over except in the middle about 8 feet in diamiter but i spoke to the farmer and he said there are some realy big fih in there,but i couldn't fish the bottom because of 4 feet of weed and on top there are some big ones showing but not taking the biscut and half way down it is plagued with small rudd has anybody got any suggestions if so e-mail me on caveman9002003@yahoo.co.uk

thanks aLL
CAVEMAN